Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vietnam Departure Card

Posted by TheGoose on 15/5/2009 at 17:09

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

I can't remember being given a departure card to keep when I entered Vietnam (I came overland from Kep to Ha Tien) though even if I was handed one, I've lost it. I'm just wondering if this is going to cause any problems when I fly from Hanoi to Laos?

#1 TheGoose has been a member since 30/1/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by daawgon on 16/5/2009 at 01:50

I had a similar experience in March of this year. I was given a card of some sort along with my visa at the airport in Hanoi. I destroyed it because I didn't think I needed it (and I always try to keep myself free of unneeded papers and such - I tend to be so disorganized). Well, it all turned out ok! At the airport I was asked for this card, but I told them the truth, and they didn't make a big deal out of it and left me board my flight to Korea. The thing is that when I went to Vietnam in 2008, no one asked for anything other than my passport when I came back, so I just assumed it was not necessary. I've discovered that rules/regulations in Vietnam are often ignored/overlooked. Have a great trip - it's a super friendly country.

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Posted by brucemoon on 16/5/2009 at 04:41

TheGoose

I had a similar experience to daawgon, and merely told the departure people at the airport "I'm sorry I must have lost it".

I've also had the same experience in Malaysia.

I think the departure card merely makes the immigration officer's administrative record-keeping on the computer quicker.

Cheers

#3 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by TheGoose on 16/5/2009 at 14:25

Posted from within Vietnam.

Cheers for that! :)

#4 TheGoose has been a member since 30/1/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by anhluc on 18/5/2009 at 12:45

Do you want to avoid any anxiety? When you are checking in at the airport - ask the people at the ticket counter to give you a new one to fill out. Worked for my wife and I last month and we avoided any explanations or funny looks.

#5 anhluc has been a member since 15/5/2009. Posts: 32

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.