Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Mosquito repellant advice

Posted by BruceMoon on 6/6/2009 at 05:54

Hi, fellow travellers

I was confronted with a dilemma regarding mosquito repellant. Here, in Australia, DEET is no longer readily available.

I did a bit of research, and posted on the 'Health' page. Today I discovered some alarming facts about DEET.

You may also be interested:

https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelhealth/3962_deet-or-picaridn-

Cheers

#1 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by daawgon on 6/6/2009 at 13:04

Do you have the new Off Clip-on product Downunder yet? Nothing is applied to the skin:

http://offprotects.com/clip-on-mosquito-repellent/

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Posted by daawgon on 6/6/2009 at 13:09

I should have added that the product mentioned above is now being advertised in the USA

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Posted by BruceMoon on 6/6/2009 at 13:35

daawgon

This product is 'released' via a battery operated fan device so that the active ingredient 'envelops' the human.

Did you look at the toxicology for the active ingredient: metofluthrin?

The active ingredient is a known neurotoxicant (meaning it affects the neural pathways).

According to the release notes published by USEPA:

http://www.epa.gov/opprd001/factsheets/metofluthrin.pdf

The drug company accepts that "Metofluthrin, like other pyrethroids, is neurotoxic... Although metofluthrin is a neurotoxicant, a developmental neurotoxicity (DNT) study is not necessary at this time. ...only short-term exposure scenarios were considered ...use frequency was 12 applications per year.

So, the drug company says it's Ok for a couple of hours a day, limited to 12 times a year.

And, given that pregnant women may use it, no reproductive studies were undertaken!!!

The product advertising (as per your link) shows a hazard warning:

Caution-Hazards to humans and domestic animals:

* Harmful if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through the skin.
* Avoid contact with skin, eyes or clothing.
* Avoid breathing vapor.
* Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling and before eating, drinking, chewing gum or using tobacco.
* Remove and wash contaminated clothing before reuse.
* Store away from food, beverages and pet food.
* Do not use indoors or in enclosed spaces.
* Do not touch device with metal instruments or wet hands.
* Do not allow materials of any kind to cover the unit while it is in use.

- - - -

Sounds like a great product (NOT!).

Cheers

#4 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by daawgon on 8/6/2009 at 02:52

Bruce - thank you for doing the research that I should have done!

#5 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.