Hi, fellow travellers
I was confronted with a dilemma regarding mosquito repellant. Here, in Australia, DEET is no longer readily available.
I did a bit of research, and posted on the 'Health' page. Today I discovered some alarming facts about DEET.
You may also be interested:
Do you have the new Off Clip-on product Downunder yet? Nothing is applied to the skin:
This product is 'released' via a battery operated fan device so that the active ingredient 'envelops' the human.
Did you look at the toxicology for the active ingredient: metofluthrin?
The active ingredient is a known neurotoxicant (meaning it affects the neural pathways).
According to the release notes published by USEPA:
The drug company accepts that "Metofluthrin, like other pyrethroids, is neurotoxic... Although metofluthrin is a neurotoxicant, a developmental neurotoxicity (DNT) study is not necessary at this time. ...only short-term exposure scenarios were considered ...use frequency was 12 applications per year.
So, the drug company says it's Ok for a couple of hours a day, limited to 12 times a year.
And, given that pregnant women may use it, no reproductive studies were undertaken!!!
The product advertising (as per your link) shows a hazard warning:
Caution-Hazards to humans and domestic animals:
* Harmful if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through the skin.
* Avoid contact with skin, eyes or clothing.
* Avoid breathing vapor.
* Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling and before eating, drinking, chewing gum or using tobacco.
* Remove and wash contaminated clothing before reuse.
* Store away from food, beverages and pet food.
* Do not use indoors or in enclosed spaces.
* Do not touch device with metal instruments or wet hands.
* Do not allow materials of any kind to cover the unit while it is in use.
- - - -
Sounds like a great product (NOT!).