Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

The halong bay tour, what time do you get back?

Posted by themeag on 15/6/2009 at 22:20

Hello,

i'm just in the process of booking my flight from Hanoi to leung prabang. But i'm not sure if i were to book a 3 day tour of Halong bay, what time i would get back on the third day, as the flight i'm looking at leaves at 18.25. Would this be late enough or am i pushing it! any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Stevie

#1 themeag has been a member since 14/6/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by Manticore on 16/6/2009 at 01:05

Posted from within Vietnam.

Why not just ask the tour agency? Except don't tell him you have a plane to catch. Just say you're curious.

Sounds to me like you're pushing it though.

There's a lunch stop, slow ride back to Hanoi, then slow ride to the airport where you'll have to check in 2h before international departure.
I've been on a Halong Bay tour twice and both times we were held up in traffic going back. Nothing to do with the tour operators. First time there was a traffic jam caused by a truck accident. Second time was due to heavy rains which required a detour around flooded roads.

Try to get a later flight if you can.

#2 Manticore has been a member since 9/11/2006. Posts: 67
 Send Manticore a private message 

Posted by themeag on 16/6/2009 at 02:25

Thanks for your quick reply, but i've not booked the tour yet i am going to wait until i reach Hanoi. Please could you give a roughish times that you got back from your trips.

Cheers

Stevie

#3 themeag has been a member since 14/6/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by Manticore on 16/6/2009 at 15:23

Posted from within Vietnam.

I really cant remember the time I got back to Hanoi. All I recall was that it was still daylight. It must have been late afternoon. This was after all the delays.

My priority would be on the tour and not the flight. You may not come back to Vietnam for a long time. Don't leave regretting not seeing Halong Bay.

When time margins are slim, any small thing can ruin your schedule. I would book the tour and get a later flight.

#4 Manticore has been a member since 9/11/2006. Posts: 67
 Send Manticore a private message 

Posted by alex16103 on 16/6/2009 at 18:23

When I went on a tour the other week we got back about 6.30, there was a fair bit a traffic though.

It does give you time to catch the overnight train to Sapa the same night though, which we did; in case you fancied spening a day there.

Alex

#5 alex16103 has been a member since 23/5/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 8

Posted by BruceMoon on 16/6/2009 at 19:25

Stevie

If everything goes fine, it's about a 4 hour road trip. But, for time, this is Vietnam, not Japan.

Most boats 'swap' passengers around lunchtime. So, passengers off around midday, passengers on around 12:30.

And, it also depends on the day you arrive back in HaNoi. Some days are worse than others for traffic, and late afternoon is always rush time.

Cheers

#6 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.