Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vietnam by (motor)bike

Posted by PrincessSimon on 16/6/2009 at 19:47

I'm looking to explore bits of Vietnam by bike and/or motorbike. I get the impression that parts of Vietnam (which are more inland, eg Sapa) are too hilly for biking.

Can anyone please tell me which areas of Vietnam are impossible (or impractical) to visit by bike/motorbike?

Many thanks

#1 PrincessSimon has been a member since 16/6/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by Manticore on 17/6/2009 at 00:28

Posted from within Vietnam.

By pushbike, you'd be right to avoid hilly regions. By motorbike, anywhere is possible.
If there are Vietnamese living there, then it's accessible by motorbike! They can ride a bike with 4 passengers, a suckling pig, and 12 cases of Heineken steering with one hand up a muddy track while sending a text message. And still find time to toot the horn ;)

#2 Manticore has been a member since 9/11/2006. Posts: 67
 Send Manticore a private message 

Posted by BruceMoon on 17/6/2009 at 06:03

Manticore covered the accessibility attribute.

As for renting, you have several options.

Most tourist centres rent 100cc (or similar) bikes for around that town. So, if long distance travel is preferred, and biking around the local area, it will be easy. However, if you want to travel any distance, ensure you have at least a 110cc semi-auto or manual with bigger wheels than the full auto.

Some tourist centres have bike shops renting 125cc or bigger bikes. Generally, these are for longer distance travel, but need to be retuned to the renter.

There is (apparently) one bike rental firm in Saigon that does one way rental - you pay for the return as freight on a train.

For more, try typing in Bike rental Vietnam into the Search Travelfish box at the top left of this page. The discussion may assist you.

Hope this helps

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.