Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Muong Lay - Lai Chau, which is which now?

Posted by anhluc on 27/6/2009 at 01:45

I'm still a bit confused an I know somebody has the answer. Is the old Lai Chau which is closer to Sa Pa on the map, now or is it going to be Muong Lay ? Or, is Muong Lay which is closer to Dien Bien on the map, now or is it going to be Lai Chau.

I guess the easier question is which one is going to be under water soon and is the sight of the hydro electric plant and dam?

Just a stretch here, but does anyone know the travel time between Dien Bien to Muong Lay, Muong Lay to Lai Chau, and Lai Chau to Sa Pa?

I am trying to decide if I should plan the trip in one day (Dien Bien to Sa Pa via private car), or which of Muong Lay or Lai Chau would be the better one to layover at.

#1 anhluc has been a member since 15/5/2009. Posts: 32

Posted by somtam2000 on 27/6/2009 at 06:54 admin

Dien Bien Phu to Muong Lay is around 3 hours
Muang Lay to Lai Chau is 3-4 hours
Lai Chau to Sapa is 3-4 hours

These are very dependent on road conditions etc -- you'll find more info in the travel sections on each destination.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,644
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by BruceMoon on 27/6/2009 at 08:06

Somtam has answered the basics.

But, why go that way?

The road is now crap...

Go look at my post:

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.