Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

HCMC Airport Taxi's Nightmare part 2

Posted by travworld on 12/7/2009 at 20:49

Posted from within Vietnam.

So you just got done flying for some 25 hours , and have gathered your luggafe , going thru last security , you see 5 money exchange booths each one giving a different rate, all the money is the same take the higher rate. Now if you go outside there is allot of taxi's . So which one to take , well Malinh and Vinasun are the most respected , and most are in a Uniform with a tie . if none are available you could take the 8.00 usd , a 1 price option at the Budget Rent a Car counter, you pay them they give a driver a voucher and put you in a taxi , they speak english so they can tell the taxi where to go . Or choose one of the many others and risk getting taken advantage of. Your Choice.????

#1 travworld has been a member since 9/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 23
 Send travworld a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by BruceMoon on 13/7/2009 at 05:11

travworld

Am I to understand that Budget Rent a Car are accepting US$8 to provide a secure taxi journey to HaNoi central (CBD)?

My understanding is that a 'normal' taxi rate is about US10 (one way). So, this would be good value.

Is this correct?

- - -

For those interested, there are also cheaper travel options, go look here

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by BruceMoon on 13/7/2009 at 05:14

Sorry

Mistook your post for HaNoi.

oooops!!!

Anyway...

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by travworld on 13/7/2009 at 09:43

Yes this is for HCMC , I am sorry the taxi drivers in Hanoi still take you to the wrong hotel , and well its best to complain to Hanoi airport that they really should make all taxi company's get a license to pick up from the airport so as to only have respectable taxi companies pick up , also did you know in HCMC they have some nicer taxi that are similiar to a Limo Taxi..

#4 travworld has been a member since 9/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 23

Posted by wanderlust13 on 29/8/2009 at 16:29

I just got ripped off in Saigon by a taxi driver...either from M-Taxi or a scammer in an M-Taxi car. I had heard that Vinasun was a safe company and had taken them several times, and indeed it was fine. However, today as I walked out of the Tax Department Store on Le Loi, I noticed an M-Taxi with the driver waving and smiling out the window at me. I walked up to see if he had a meter (he pointed to the meter and said "yes, meter" so I got in. The ride from there down to the Binh Tay market in Chinatown was an astounding 276,000 dong! I watched it go up, and realized I was getting ripped off, and so I asked him to stop but he wouldn't. At the destination I tried to bargain, telling him I knew his meter was rigged and offered him 200,000, still a great deal for him, but he refused. His car number was 276. DO NOT TAKE M-TAXI. The taxi ride back (with Mylinh) was an acceptable 45,000 dong - much more in line with what it should be. Also, although he may have been from a reputable company (certainly not reputable in my opinion) he was not wearing a uniform. I have heard from local Vietnamese sources that a lack of uniform is a telltale sign of a scam artist, however I took a non-uniformed Mylinh taxi the night before and it was fine...so...be careful.

#5 wanderlust13 has been a member since 26/6/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by travworld on 30/8/2009 at 07:27

Yeah those other guys who smile at you and tell you to get in , are obvious the ones to rip you off, I would have refused and told him to call the police . chances are he would have bargained with you .I am back in the USA , I still think MaLINH and VinaSun are the best , but they do have executive taxi's that drive the nicer black cars , charge a little more but ride in style , i picked up one from the New World Hotel .

#6 travworld has been a member since 9/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 23

Posted by BruceMoon on 30/8/2009 at 08:15

MaLinh for Saigon, but NEVER for HaNoi!!!

Cheers

#7 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.