Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Night travel....buses/trains..

Posted by Greggor58 on 5/8/2009 at 07:47

Hi everybody...Ive just worked out an itinerary for January and February travel throughout Vietnam...
Im hoping that someone here can point me in the direction of a bus company or traveling at night Ill gain an extra ten days or so give or add to my usable time there...Is it possible or common to travel by bus or train at night..? Any help is appreciated!Thanks..

#1 Greggor58 has been a member since 5/8/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by virusvaleria on 5/8/2009 at 08:06

Hi, i've done heaps of research on this becaus eof my own trip in december. Here theres a map of train routes in Vietnam.

and here: how to do it by train:

hope this helps.

#2 virusvaleria has been a member since 10/3/2009. Posts: 40

Posted by BruceMoon on 5/8/2009 at 13:19

Sleeper train is more expensive than bus. For details, go here for the easiest reference.

Not all routes between cities are undertaken by night bus (or night train), though many are.

There are some really shonky bus operators in Vietnam. Many bad experiences are posted here on Travelfish. Try this description.

Might I suggest you only use Sinh Cafe. They may not be the best in the world, but they have perhaps the safest record in Vietnam.

Go to to locate their offices throughout Vietnam. You don't have to book till you are there.

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by violets on 6/8/2009 at 10:09

Train is much safer and more comfortable than bus. It does cost more than the bus but is still amazingly cheap. Book as early as you can for soft sleepers, though I've found sitting up in soft seats overnight not too bad and you should be able to get them the previous day.

The most obvious overnight trips are from Saigon to Nha Trang , Nha Trang to Danang (for Hoi An) or Hue and from Hue to Hanoi - it depends which direction you go in how well a particular trip works. From Danang to Hue is a beautiful trip to be awake for and really you will want to see at least some countryside; don't regard it as wasted time.

You can also go overnight between Hanoi and the nearest station to Sapa but these tickets can be hard to get.

#4 violets has been a member since 6/7/2009. Posts: 151

Posted by Greggor58 on 30/8/2009 at 23:02

Thanks for your responses....its all helpful info....the more the better..

#5 Greggor58 has been a member since 5/8/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by Vietnam720 on 2/9/2009 at 08:34

Posted from within Vietnam.

I had lots of fun on Sinh Cafe's sleeper bus. Here's a virtual tour of the sleeper bus:

#6 Vietnam720 has been a member since 26/8/2009. Location: Singapore. Posts: 46
 Send Vietnam720 a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by MADMAC on 2/9/2009 at 12:00

Sleeper trains are almost always preferable to bus - although I haven't had the pleasure in Thailand (or southeast Asia). In Kenya it was a fantastic experience.

I have had lots of experience with the bus however - in Thailand. You won't exactly gain extra days, as you will sleep like crap on the bus and feel hungover and sleep deprived he next day. I always have to get a few hours of down time if I don't want to walk around feeling like crap.

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.