Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

easyriding in a car

Posted by justwondering on 13/8/2009 at 10:11

I haven't been able to find the answer to this question elsewhere in teh forum, apologies if I've just missed it. I had my heart set on doing the easyrider thing from Hoi An to Dalat over 5 or 6 days. Unfortunately the b*ggers at my travel insurance company won't cover me without a motorcycle licence, even if I'm only a passenger. Suffice to say i don't have a licence.

I haven't really been able to find any information about hiring a car and driver/guide to do the same trip. There will be two of us travelling. Can anyone shed any light on our options? Any help appreciated.

#1 justwondering has been a member since 12/8/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by Rohan on 13/8/2009 at 10:25

Are you sure? My policy (with 1cover) lets me ride as a passenger provided the driver is licensed for Vietnam. It will not let me drive unless I have a motorbike license at home.

#2 Rohan has been a member since 16/6/2009. Posts: 63

Posted by justwondering on 14/8/2009 at 04:54

Unfortunately yes,I rang and checked because it seemed so unreasonable.

#3 justwondering has been a member since 12/8/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by violets on 16/8/2009 at 10:18

We went by car from Dalat to Kon Tum over 4 days for, I think, $400 plus the cost of our hotel rooms (cheap and pretty good). There were 3 of us. We asked the easy rider guys in the Peace cafe and they found us a great guide. The driver and car were organised through the Dreams hotel. We had a nearly new minibus with good seat belts and the driver (husband of Dreams owner) was sensible and drove safely. If there's only you I'm sure you could do a better deal with a smaller car, though you may still need a separate driver and guide. We could have had a longer trip if we'd wanted.

#4 violets has been a member since 6/7/2009. Posts: 151

Posted by leevietnam on 16/8/2009 at 20:32

Posted from within Vietnam.

For Hoi An to Dalat through Ho Chi Minh trail and via Central highlands is great trip by motorcycle.
Fee free email me if you would like to see culture, customs of Vietnam (That we say to see real Vietnam on wheels)
Happy travel

#5 leevietnam has been a member since 16/8/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by BruceMoon on 17/8/2009 at 14:18

In Vietnam, you hire the car AND driver (the rules, mate). There are several companies offering such services. The only difficulty is whether the driver has any semblance of English. The driver will NOT be a tour guide (unlike the easy rider).

For car firms, look here and here or here .

Hope this helps.

#6 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.