Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Legit Livitrans?

Posted by justwondering on 7/9/2009 at 07:38

I was under the impression that all of the private trains to Sapa needed to be booked through an agent or hotel, but I stumbled across this website for Livitrans (www.livitrans.com) which says their head ticketing office is in the Mango Hotel lobby and you can book direct with them.
Does anyone know if this is legit or is it just Mango Hotel having a go? Their prices seem about right from what I can figure.

#1 justwondering has been a member since 12/8/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by rebeccafarrent on 7/9/2009 at 13:41

Hi,

We had 2 soft sleeper tickets booked thru Columbus in Hanoi and were transfered straight to the train station on the day back from Halong bay. We were taken to the Mango hotel for a private check-in because as far as we know, it's a separate area for Livitrans.

For train/plane tickets, you can ask any travel companies/hotels to book on your behalf or do it yourself, just a few days in advance.

Hope this helps.

Rebecca

#2 rebeccafarrent has been a member since 2/5/2009. Posts: 37

Posted by BruceMoon on 7/9/2009 at 14:01

justwondering

Please look at this website for details about Livitrans prices.

I note from their description that Livitrains is 'bookable' at any travel agent (as per above) - more detail here .

If the Mango Hotel price is OK, and you are happy, I'd say go for it.

Cheers

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by daawgon on 9/9/2009 at 01:36

Yes, it's legit. I've been on Livitrans twice (once to Danang and once to Lao Cai ). I can just tell you that this is not the only good service to Lao Cai - many private carriages are just as good, and some are newer and in better condition. I hear that the newest is the Green Train. I've also been on King Express and really liked that a tad better. Really makes little difference where you buy the tickets - I use Adventure Indochina (adventureindochina.com) in Hanoi.

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,112

Posted by justwondering on 9/9/2009 at 04:46

OK, thanks guys. My initial preference was for King Express actually so thanks Daawgon.

#5 justwondering has been a member since 12/8/2009. Posts: 20

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.