Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Massages in Vietnam??

Posted by Peat on 7/9/2009 at 15:49

Hi everybody, I just wanted to know whether we can find in Vietnam the same great massage places (good, reliable, cheap, on every corner) as in Thailand? Or is it different there? What should I know?

Thanks, Petra

#1 Peat has been a member since 7/9/2009. Posts: 9

Posted by BruceMoon on 7/9/2009 at 17:49

Petra

Different culture, different government.

My understanding is that the Vietnamese gov't severely restricts massage options in Vietnam. While a couple of massage providers exist, I suggest they are few and far between.

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by sayadian on 7/9/2009 at 19:40

There used to be the Vietnamese traditional massage place in HCMC a couple of years ago.Similar to Cambodia they are blind people.
When I was in Danang, I stopped for a haircut one morning and while it was being cut a man who looked like he belonged in 1930's Shanghai dressed in a loud suit and with a pencil-line moustache and slick greased back hair showed me a card with a price list for massage.As he did a group of Vietnamese girls in short red skirts and tottering on immense high heels clattered in to the room.I guess they were the masseuses.I didn't take him up on his offer but......

#3 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by Peat on 7/9/2009 at 20:01

sooo sad!!! I LOVED the massages in Thailand! But I don't want to get into some weird place, you know...
Hard to find a good salon I guess...:(((

#4 Peat has been a member since 7/9/2009. Posts: 9

Posted by MADMAC on 8/9/2009 at 00:33

According to Lonely Planet, every provincial city in Vietnam has massage places - some legit, some not so. Since I have never been there, I can not verify the veracity of same information however.

As for shady and not... that can sometimes be tricky to figure out anywhere. I once have a lady make overtures when my wife was lying on the mat next to mine... bold - very bold.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Pablot on 8/9/2009 at 11:09

Authentic massages for by blind masseurs are available in Hue & Danang, which means they are available in most major cities - you have to look. Expect to pay about 50,000 VND per hour.

#6 Pablot has been a member since 4/5/2009. Posts: 102

Posted by MADMAC on 8/9/2009 at 11:45

I think the Vietnamese should change the name of their currency.

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by sayadian on 8/9/2009 at 14:41

'I think the Vietnamese should change the name of their currency.'
Madmac,
Yeh, it's a pretty flacid currency.

#8 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by daawgon on 9/9/2009 at 01:44

I use the foot massage in both Thailand and Vietnam, and really find little difference. Naturally there's all types of massage and all different qualities. I was thoroughly impressed with the Foot Spa in Than Son Nhat Domestic Terminal/Gate 6 - top quality foot massage @ 130,000VND.

Don't believe everything you read in LP (some of the worst hotel and restaurant leads!)

#9 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,133
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by wanderlust13 on 9/9/2009 at 08:32

Posted from within Vietnam.

I got a back massage in Hanoi at QT spa right across from the Ho Hoan Kiem lake in the old quarter. This was an upscale, legit place so the massage was $25. The place had great ambiance with soothing music and an actual massage table as opposed to a simple table covered with a sheet. The massuese was clearly very well trained and the massage was a- freaking-mazing. I've got massages both in Thailand and Cambodia and they were perfectly fine and cheap. This one was on a different level and def worth the extra cash.

#10 wanderlust13 has been a member since 26/6/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by Peat on 9/9/2009 at 14:28

mmhh. This is what I am paying in Germany as well for an hour of wonderful massage. Ok. seems, its a bit difficult to find good AND cheap ones in Viet. I guess, I just go the trial and error way. ;)

#11 Peat has been a member since 7/9/2009. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.