Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Any thoughts on my itinerary

Posted by jclarkson on 15/9/2009 at 09:02

So I think I've decided on a lose itinerary.

Saigon (day or two for Chu Chi and the Delta)

This is the part I really would like some tips on is what to hit in central Vietnam. I want to see the DMZ and do Nha Trang, maybe Hue or Hoi An as well, any advice about how long it takes to get aroudn that area and peoples thoughts on the locations would be greatly appreciated.

Then Hanoi, Ha Long bay, fly to Vientiene go to VV for tubing then back to Saigon and home

#1 jclarkson has been a member since 10/9/2009. Posts: 35

Posted by violets on 15/9/2009 at 10:17

I think you need more than a day or two for Saigon and the Mekong. You can do a one day trip to the Mekong but a 3 day one works better if you really want to get an idea of the area. I think Saigon deserves a couple of days on its own.

How long do you intend to spend altogether? I think more time in fewer places works best. And what do you like to do? Personally I don't much like Nha Trang but love Hue. Have a look at the info on this and other sites to see what might work for you.

#2 violets has been a member since 6/7/2009. Posts: 151

Posted by daflj on 15/9/2009 at 18:14

I'd agree with violets - unless you're set on doing some scuba then Nha Trang isn't that exciting. I loved Hoi An so I'd try and spend a couple of days there (and there's also a really nice beach a cycle ride away from Hoi An so you don't have to miss out on the beach if you choose to miss Nha Trang).

Hue was also really interesting - I spent 2 days there and could easily have spent a couple more.

#3 daflj has been a member since 28/8/2008. Posts: 32

Posted by jclarkson on 16/9/2009 at 00:06

I had heard Nha Trang was a ton of fun and a great party scene. Hue is definitely high on my list because of all the great history, how would you compare Hoi An and Hue because I will probably only have time to do one of the two.

#4 jclarkson has been a member since 10/9/2009. Posts: 35

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.