Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Booking hostels online and airport pickup

Posted by Pokol on 29/9/2009 at 21:04

Hi,

I'm thinking of booking a room using hostelbookers.com. Has anybody tries this? I can also book an airport pickup here. how does this work? Do they wait for you with a sign showing your name or how does this work? Can I trust booking online or should I just risk it and make it into HCMC and fins a room by myself?

#1 Pokol has been a member since 26/8/2009. Posts: 38

Posted by daawgon on 30/9/2009 at 01:33

I usually email the hotel directly to book a room with airport pickup - most every place has computer access. Yes, a sign is held up in the arrival area and it works quite well. It's especially nice when arriving late at night in a strange country - having someone meet you is a real plus. I reserved by email recently at the Bich Duyen (bichduyenhotel@yahoo.com) in Saigon and the manager there responds almost instantly. Some of those booking sites now charge - I know that hostelworld does.

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,133
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 30/9/2009 at 07:33 admin

Hostelbookers is one of the larger hostel resellers, unlike HostelWorld they don't charge a $2 fee on top so the rooms sometimes work out a little cheaper.

There's around 432,432,765 cheap guesthouses in Saigon so as long as you're not arriving late at night and are not fussed by having to try a few places to find one you like, reserving ahead isn't essential.

Also worth noting that on both HostelWorld and Hostelbookers, the descriptions are written by the guesthouses themselves.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Pokol on 30/9/2009 at 16:50

Thank you! I think I'll try and walk into the hotel directly. In any case, late at night...How late is late? After midnight??

Thank you!

#4 Pokol has been a member since 26/8/2009. Posts: 38

Posted by idreamofdurian on 30/9/2009 at 16:57 TF writer

Hostelbookers is great -- I use it when I'm going to be arriving late and/or aren't in the mood to pound the pavement looking for the best room. I usually book for only 1 night then, if it's any good, ask to extend my stay at the online booking price :) I've only been picked up at an airport by a hostel once -- they had a sign with my name on it.

#5 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by Pokol on 30/9/2009 at 17:16

And what if your flight gets delayed? Do they still hold your booking and come back to the airport when you arrive?:) Sorry for all these silly questions but I've never arranged an airport pick up...I've always risked it.

#6 Pokol has been a member since 26/8/2009. Posts: 38

Posted by Pokol on 30/9/2009 at 17:32

Also, does it get any cheaper if you arrange an airport pick up or is it better to get a taxi to the hotel?

#7 Pokol has been a member since 26/8/2009. Posts: 38

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/10/2009 at 09:00 admin

Pokol,

It depends on the property, but generally if you're booking beforehand there is some kind of facility to let them know you'll be arriving late in the evening -- just run it past them -- they should advise if it is a prob.

Personally I wouldn't bother prebooking an airport transit with your accommodation (unless they offer it at a very discoutned price) - Saigon's airport is close to downtown and there will always be transport hanging around -- some better than others of course.

Hope that helps.

#8 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by macman1945 on 1/10/2009 at 16:45

Hi pokol,
Do yourself a favour and listen to the words of wisdom of daawgon.
I travelled to vietnam last trip and his advice regards bich duyen hotel is spot on. Great manager and really reasonable and safe transfers.

#9 macman1945 has been a member since 11/10/2007. Posts: 35

Posted by Pokol on 15/10/2009 at 15:35

Hey, you were right. Chanh is soooo friendly and quick. There was no room in his hotel but he managed to get me something cheaper and arrange airport pick up. So far it is ok. I will let you guys know if this was good at all when I arrive:)

#10 Pokol has been a member since 26/8/2009. Posts: 38

Posted by Indoluso on 13/3/2010 at 04:13

Hello!

My experience is that airlines which provide online check-in allow you to choose your seat when checking. Another option is to call the airline when you buy the ticket and ask for the seat you want (just did it for my next trip in 4 months). Both of these are fee-free.

Cheers

#11 Indoluso has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 133

Posted by peterscot on 13/3/2010 at 14:02

Hi all.
I found an online service, http://www.checkmein.eu/uk/ which provides online check in by giving the best seats preferred by us.
They send boarding pass by email.

#12 peterscot has been a member since 13/3/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by indochinaqueenhotel on 14/3/2010 at 15:54

Posted from within Vietnam.

I think both hostelworld and hostelbooker is good, but maybe you first find hostel on this website and then read reviews which was rate by previous customer so that you can know this hotel is good or not, and then book hotel. After that maybe hotel will contact you and they will confirm whether you need taxi to pick up at the airport or not?

#13 indochinaqueenhotel has been a member since 14/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.