Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Mekong Delta on a motorbike.

Posted by stvstv on 2/10/2009 at 20:30

Dear great Travelfish

I will be in Vietnam in December and I like to travel in the Mekong Delta on a small motorbike. I am alone and I have 5/6 day to spend.

Think it's a good idea?
Where can I rent a small motorbike in the delta?
How can cost a day?
What are the best places to visit in the delta on a motorcycle?

Thanks to everyone for help me.


#1 stvstv has been a member since 13/3/2009. Posts: 10

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/10/2009 at 08:47 admin

Renting in the Delta you could try My Tho (as that would be your first stop). I didn't see any dedicated hire places there, though it was straightforward to hire a bike with rider.

It's a good idea assuming you're looking to get more off the beaten track - there's one story on some of the destinations in the Delta here:

With six days you could cover something like My Tho Ben Tre Tra Vinh Ving Long ...

Make sure you lock up your bike properly at night -- many guesthouses will let you park it inside the lobby at night -- don't leave it on the street overnight.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,937
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by marigeri on 4/10/2009 at 08:16

in chau doc it is really easy to get a motorbike and it is not touristic place as mytho or cantho, it is also small city very easy to stay in and relax, in the guesthouse in the center, they rent moto, and from there you can go around see the mekong life, the ricefield, khmer old pagodas...
i enjoy a ride in mekong with a french guide, and it was amazing, we found him on french guide book and he took us to beautifull places, but then i went by myself in chau doc and found it easy to be there,
i stayed in cantho and it is too big city not as charming as chaudoc

#3 marigeri has been a member since 25/6/2006. Posts: 23

Posted by Juha_H on 8/1/2014 at 09:24

Posted from within Vietnam.


I'm travelling around Mekong Delta and right now at Can Tho. Scooter is probably the way to see the country side and small town over here. I'm staying at Kim Lan hotel and I asked from reception if they can rent scooter for me. Nice receptionist told me that Kim Lan doesnt rent scooter, but maybe the next hotel on the left can arrange something for me. I walked in to the hotel and in couple of minutes I had rented scooter and helmet for couple of days. The guy who rented the scooter didn't check even if I have driver licence or any other papers, which is kind of funny. Now I have scooter, but should I have some papers if police stops me on the road? Do you know is European driver licence valid here in Vietnam? I have Finnish driver licence.

#4 Juha_H has been a member since 13/12/2013. Posts: 23

Posted by Want2BHappy on 12/1/2014 at 05:01

No. Your Finnish driver's license is NOT VALID in Vietnam.

You are almost certainly riding without third party insurance, so you personally will be liable for any damage or injury you cause, and, since you are a foreigner, probably liable for any damage or injury in any accident you are involved in, even if it wasn't your fault. (It's ALWAYS the foreigner's fault.)

You should probably check that your travel insurance covers your medical/evacuation costs in case of an accident while riding illegally. Some do. Many don't.

The police probably won't stop you since you presumably look foreign and they probably don't speak English. They could though... If you are involved in an accident without anyone being injured, it's best to sort it out before the police get involved. If someone is injured or killed, you could be in serious doo doo.

Have fun.

#5 Want2BHappy has been a member since 23/2/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 81
 Send Want2BHappy a private message   Where has Want2BHappy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.