Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Winging it

Posted by AlyssaAnne on 6/10/2009 at 11:39

Hi there,

Still planning a trip- 3 weeks Laos/ 3 weeks Vietnam.

We'd like to keep things, as far as itineraries go, open as some of the info on this site suggests, but were wondering if this is advisable if we are travelling in the high season (from 6th January in Vietnam)?

Apologies if this query has already been covered elsewhere!

Ta,
A.

#1 AlyssaAnne has been a member since 9/8/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by AlyssaAnne on 6/10/2009 at 11:41

Just to clarify - should we book in advance even if it requires making things a little more rigid?

My friend has 2 weeks in Vietnam and I am staying on for an extra week. The original idea was top to bottom trip with a few flights to save time.

Ta,
A.

#2 AlyssaAnne has been a member since 9/8/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by Pablot on 6/10/2009 at 13:18

Generally a nice time of the year. Sometimes in central VN get bad weather as late as early May (as in 2009!) - but in general normally is OK by early January; you just go further north or south until weather improves.

The "tourist" high season in Central VN as far as I am concerned now runs thru Summer! this is because there are more Vietnamese domestic tourists than foreigners, and they are doing all their holiday making in Summer. The traditional "tourist high season" as being Christmas - Easter I have the feeling does NOT apply any more! VN has really suffered from lack of foreign tourism and domestic tourism has taken up the slack....

VN is really lovely by the way! if you really can "wing it" you will participate in the party of life as it unfolds... try not to get dinged along the way (motorbikes, etc.!)

#3 Pablot has been a member since 4/5/2009. Posts: 102

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/10/2009 at 15:20 admin

What are you considering booking in advance? Flights, accommodation or tours?

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,577
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by AlyssaAnne on 6/10/2009 at 17:26

Hey,

Thanks for the help.

Thinking moreso accomodation.

Ta,
A.

#5 AlyssaAnne has been a member since 9/8/2009. Posts: 20

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.