Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Getting to Vietnam from Phnom Penh

Posted by donveli on 15/10/2009 at 18:07

Hi guys!

Im traveling 6 weeks in SE asia from beginning of december. I will start from bkk and from there i was thinking about to go to Cambodia. since i've been already to Cambodia i was thinking to spend only a few days in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh, and from there i wanna travel to Saigon. Is it possible to get to Saigon from PP via bus? visas are possible to get from the boarder also? and from Saigon i'd like to visit maybe Mui Ne. Never been to Vietnam before so i'd like to get some tips how to get there and what places is a must see around Saigon. I'm thinking to stay around one week in Vietnam and then get back to Sihanoukville for the new year :)

Don't really know yet where to go. Laos is also in my mind but i think i wanna rather go to vietnam? 6 weeks is not enough to visit both i think.

Thanks for all the replies!

#1 donveli has been a member since 15/10/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/10/2009 at 05:14 admin

Yes there are direct buses between Phnom Penh and Ho Chi Minh City
No there is no visa at the border, you will have to get your Vietnamese visa beforehand (suggest in Phnom Penh.
Straightforward bus from Saigon to Mui Ne.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by virusvaleria on 10/11/2009 at 08:31

you gotta stop on Phu Quoc Island for a few nites though!

#3 virusvaleria has been a member since 10/3/2009. Posts: 40

Posted by rubic on 10/11/2009 at 16:02

Posted from within Vietnam.

Visa upon arrival is available for tourists who come to Cambodia and unavailable for those who travel to Vietnam so you need arrange it in advance.

6 weeks are long enough to cover 2 countries. I think 5 weeks in Cambodia are long and 1 week in Vietnam is not enough. Vietnam has many beauty spots to visit. if you spend 1 week, just focus on the south. You can reach Ho Chi Minh by express boat, express bus or plane. A boat trip from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc (border town)and then cruise to Mekong delta (part in Vietnam) to Ho Chi Minh. take a bus or a taxi is the most common way to reach Mui Ne.

#4 rubic has been a member since 26/9/2009. Posts: 9

Posted by donveli on 11/11/2009 at 19:32

Thanks for the replies!

I forgot to mention that I will be spending also time in BKK when arriving and leaving Thailand. Phu Quoc is really close to Sihanoukville, anybody know is it possible to get there by boat?
Im thinking that the option to take a boat from PP to Ho Chi Ming would be nice. How much does it cost? Let's see where I will end up on this trip. Sinville is a must for me to visit friends but everything else is just a vision at the moment. :)

#5 donveli has been a member since 15/10/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/11/2009 at 09:39 admin

There is no boat from Sihanoukville to Phu Quoc Island -- see the last part of this story for info on how to get between the two.

There are regular passenger boats from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc (on the Vn side of the border) but not onwards to Saigon -- you'll need to do that by bus.

Hope that helps

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by travellingtina on 24/11/2009 at 04:50

From Shinoukville, head to Kep then Ha Tien over the border. From there you can catch a fast ferry to Phu Quoc. Ha Tien itself is a sweet little town. Great market food and friendly people. Some must do's around the the area are Hon Chong beach, the long cave and Mea Nea beach. If you go to Chau Doc, make sure you go to the temple at Sam Mountain. great views and a very peaceful temple. You should spend more time in Vn and less in Cambodia. Heaps to do.

#7 travellingtina has been a member since 24/11/2009. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.