Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Cambodian Visa In HCMC - Visa at the border?

Posted by aarondl on 31/10/2009 at 17:57

Posted from within Vietnam.

My wife and I visited the Cambodian consulate in HCMC to try to avoid any issues at the Cambodian border. First, they close at 11:30 until 2 pm, so we were out of luck at 11:35. Anyhow when we returned, we were told that visas would cost 500,000 dong each (they don't accept USD). I told him I was positive that it was only $20, or 360,000 dong; he replied that it would a rush, since it was after noon and so would cost 100,000 dong more. Obviously the extra 140,000 dong each were destined for his pocket, so we got his name from the application (which he didn't like) and assured him that we'd report him when we get to Phenom Phen, which we probably won't. We were just trying to get him to cave. After that, his english diminished until he didn't speak a word.

Anyhow, we didn't the visas, we refused to pay his bribe. I have been assured by several Vietamese people that there will be no problem getting a Cambodian visa on the border. Is this true? Am I going to have to fight for a good price, which I unsuccessfully had to in Laos? What a bunch of crap.

#1 aarondl has been a member since 16/10/2009. Posts: 3
 Website 

Posted by sayadian on 1/11/2009 at 03:27

no problem at all getting a tourist or a business visa at the border for the correct price.There's a small scam involving the bus.Theyll collect all the passports and tell you it's much quicker for them to do it en bloc and charge you an extra $5 for the service.There's no need to give them your passport you can do it yourself and save the $5.They'll make you wait until last but the bus can't go until all the passports are done so it makes no difference.In my case the immigration officer, looking very sour, asked me why I wanted a business visa.Believe me that is an unusual question for a Cambodian immigration official to ask and was obviously his only ploy to get revenge for losing his commission.I replied.'For business.''oh' he said and duly stamped my passport.

#2 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.