Me and a friend are planning on going to Phu Quoc mid November. We will not be flying but taking te boat from Rach Gia.
1. How easy is it to get from HCMC to Rach Gia. We would like to do some more Mekong sightseeing while going to RG.
2. Do you need to book the tickets for the boat in advance? Any news on the timetable...I have only found a boat leaving in the morning? Is this correct? Any idea on the price?
3. Do we need to book hotel in advance in PQ or is there enought to choose from (we are not picky only travelling on a budget ;-)
4. Is it possible to leave PQ going to Ha Tien as we are planning to go Cambodja afterwards?
Thanks for the help!!
#1 Lawoat has been a member since 29/6/2009. Posts: 59
1. easy -- there are through buses from Saigon, or you can break it up easily enough, stopping at the likes of My Tho Can Tho and so on.
2. There's a morning boat - in the high season there is an afternoon boat. No need to book in advance.
3. Mid November, should be ok, if you're concerned, look at some of the cheaper places in our Phu Quoc Island accommodation section and give them a call when you are in Saigon.
4. There are now ferries to Hon Chong (near Ha Tien ) from where you can kick on to Cambodia.
Have fun, it's a great island.
#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,789
Send somtam2000 a private message Where has somtam2000 been? Website Twitter Facebook Flickr Google+ Instagram Pinterest
It was a great Island indeed...so relaxing...There is a ferry straight to Ha Tien, leaves at 8.30 and its 130.00 VND
I would hurry up if you want to visit this Island, a lot of construction work is happening at the moment for new resorts
#3 Lawoat has been a member since 29/6/2009. Posts: 59
I was in Phu Quoc in November and some friends of mine from Can Tho tried to come over for the weekend. When they arrived in Rach Gia there was only 1 ferry available (the Superdong) because the Vinashin boat was "broken". It had been a similar situation when I had gone to the island 2 days before. Unfortuanately the Superdong was full. They decided to go up to Ha Tien because there was an earlier boat the next day.
When they went to the ferry office the next morning they were told that the sea was too rough for the boat to go. This was clearly not true as the sea both in Ha Tien and in Phu Quoc was as flat as a pancake. Probably there was a mechanical problem again. The story about the weather being bad could have been a way to avoid paying compensation as this is what Vietnam Airlines do. Apparently the Ha Tien ferry is only a riverboat rather than a hydrofoil so is more likely to be full and subject to weather cancellation.
A phone call to Rach Gia produced the bad news that the boat there was full and so they returned to Can Tho without ever getting to see Phu Quoc.
In theory there are a number of ferry companies who operate from Rach Gia but only one from Ha Tien. They all seem to be extremely dodgy and unreliable. My advice would be fly to the island unless you are willing to potentially hold up somewhere for a couple of days on the way. It is relatively cheap to fly and if you are delayed it will end up costing you more in any case.
#4 muzzz63 has been a member since 7/12/2009. Posts: 3