Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Christmas in Ho Chi Minh

Posted by liamjobrien on 19/11/2009 at 00:55

Hi,

Me and my two friends are going to be in Ho Chi Minh for Christmas day and I was wondering would anyone have any recommendations of what to do? And more importantly where to go for Christmas dinner?

Regards,
Liam.

#1 liamjobrien has been a member since 1/11/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by bobnorm on 19/11/2009 at 03:54

Hi Liam,

I am in the same boat, will be in Hanoi for Christmas. I looked up the local Irish bar, if you get stuck you could try the one in HCMC:

Sheridans Irish House, 19 Le Thanh Tom St

No idea if its any good or not.

#2 bobnorm has been a member since 19/11/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by Vietnam720 on 19/11/2009 at 08:39

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just hang around the city or particularly the Notre Dame Cathedral where the locals congregate. Good for lots of pictures but bad for the lungs due to the traffic jams :-)

#3 Vietnam720 has been a member since 26/8/2009. Location: Singapore. Posts: 46
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by SaigonDaze on 22/11/2009 at 01:13

All the 5* hotels will have special Christmas Dinner buffets, but they will be $$$.

What type of food are you looking for? Plenty of good places to eat in Saigon.

#4 SaigonDaze has been a member since 22/11/2009. Posts: 5

Posted by liamjobrien on 22/11/2009 at 16:49

Thank you for all your comments. I'm looking for a turkey and ham Christmas dinner, this is the traditional Christmas dinner in Ireland, and I think Christmas would feel strange without it :)

what is the tradition in Vietnam?

#5 liamjobrien has been a member since 1/11/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by dapperchase on 24/11/2009 at 01:48

Hi Liam

I will be in and around Ho Chi Minh for christmas aswell and not to sure where i will be spending the day for christmas lunch!!! So if u find or hear of anything good give me a shout and let me no, who no's i mite meet u for a christmas beer lol

cheers Tim

#6 dapperchase has been a member since 24/11/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by travellingtina on 24/11/2009 at 04:36

Traditionally Vietnam is predominantly buddhist so they don't celebrate Xmas. But tell that to the hundred or thousands of kids who line up to see Santa. And I think I've seen more fake snow in HCMC than anywhere in Oz. Any of the larger hotels will have an expensive but delicious Xmas dinner. If you can't afford that maybe a cocktail at one of the ritzy hotels would be a lovely start. A walk down any of the lanes around Pham Nu Lao Street will flush out plenty of Europeans to celebrate with. Enjoy

#7 travellingtina has been a member since 24/11/2009. Posts: 7

Posted by busylizzy on 8/12/2009 at 23:51

There is a good chance that I'll be in HCMC as well. Maybe we need a Travelfisher Orphan Xmas catch-up!

#8 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by marie7 on 2/12/2011 at 06:34

Hi,

Myself and my 3 friends will be in HCMC for xmas, and were looking for Christmas dinner and most importantly craic. does anyone know anything about Sheridans Irish pub? Is it a busy spot, does it do traditional irish food? Because in that case sure we might just go there for the day! might bump into some of you other xmas orphans!
Share the joy if you find somewhere to have a turkey/ham dinner and a session!

Regards,
Marie

#9 marie7 has been a member since 2/12/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by peuge on 5/12/2011 at 03:00

Hey guys!

There's another thread of this subject:

https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/vietnam/16188_christmas-alone-in-hcmc-

If you're interested to get together, ask to join this facebook group I created:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/xmashcmc/

Don't know how tradiotional christmas dinner we are going to have, but I can guarantee a good company. :D
We have a quite international pack there!

Pekka
Finland

#10 peuge has been a member since 8/11/2011. Posts: 15

Posted by asia4life on 8/12/2011 at 00:17

Last year me and my husband visit the Check pub "Golden Prague" (also called LAN AHN a private sport club) in district 3. X-mas eve (24/12) they had a party, but you needed to buy a ticket in advance (day before is early enough). The ticket included cold, hot and sweet buffé food with 50 dishes (european and vietnam) and free beer, they brew their own delicious dark and golden beer (of course, if you want to drink water or soda that was ok as well) The party held outside, with a scene with entertainment, including guests participating in some simple plays. Since we were the only farangs, we have to participate, but they also made sure we got a winning prize (which was a rather huge discount on our next visit to the restaurant)

I can highly recomend it, specially if you are a group going. On your own, you may not feel comfortable seating alone on a table

I tried to add the original invitation from last year, but the Viatnemese fonts are not read correctly

#11 asia4life has been a member since 30/11/2011. Location: Sweden. Posts: 19
 Where has asia4life been?   Twitter 

Posted by peekel on 11/12/2011 at 07:07

Hey everyone, my cousin and I are arriving in HCMC on Dec 22 and we are planning to spend Christmas in Hanoi . Do you think that is a good choice? Will there be activities happening for Christmas in Hanoi or are we better off to stay in HCMC and celebrate there instead? We are actually spending the whole holidays until New Years but hoping to hop on to Cambodia after Hanoi. I'm looking forward to suggestions you guys might have for our trip, seeing this will be our first time and we would want to get the most out of the trip. Hope to hear from you guys!

#12 peekel has been a member since 11/12/2011. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.