Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Mekong Delta Tour advice PLEASE

Posted by freebird on 2/12/2009 at 18:25

We are 3 girls who want advice how to do the Mekong Delta from Phu Quoc to HCMC. We will fly from Phu Quoc to Rach Gia... but what from there? any tour suggestions?
I have been looking at an EXITISSIMO tour on the BASSAC CRUISE... anyone done this before?
Any advice much appreciated :-)

#1 freebird has been a member since 30/11/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/12/2009 at 08:05 admin

No real need to do a tour.

I'd suggest something like:

Phu Quoc Island - ferry to Rach Gia then get a bus to Can Tho where you can stay overngiht and do the boat trips out to the floating markets the following day. After that go to either Vinh Long (where you can do a homestay on the river) or to My Tho or Ban tre -- both of which you can do more boat trips from.

Then onto Saigon.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,644
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by freebird on 5/12/2009 at 22:25

hey thanks for the tips... would you suggest staying overnight on the river in a boat... or in a hotel somewhere?

which is supposedly the best part of the Mekong... most popular place to see ?

do you think we would need to book any of the buses etc, or can we just arrive in Rach Gia and work things out from there (wing it) ?

#3 freebird has been a member since 30/11/2009. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.