Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Advices for 3 weeks intiary in Vietnam?

Posted by camerondir on 28/12/2009 at 14:17

Posted from within Vietnam.

I am currently in Hanoi to do a small study for my bachelor thesis.

As part of my studies, I am going on a short field trip to Sapa , Halong, Hoa Bing , Hue, Hoi anh, Myson. The scheduling is still not in stone, but I expect to visit Sapa on the 16th of January as well as spending 3 full weeks starting on the 20th of January till the 10th of Febuary to Halong-hoabing-hue-hoianh-myson.

Would like to get your suggestions on whether 3 full weeks enough for doing my small study in these locations? Which is the best transportation to get these destinations? How could I organize this trip as most economically?

And for this trip, I will need an guide, who has good command of English and who is guiding me for 3 full weeks from Sapa-Halong-Hoabing-Hue-Hoian-Myson. My budget is 10 USD/guide/per day.Any advices for looking a guide?

I would highly appreciate. Thanks a million.

#1 camerondir has been a member since 28/12/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/12/2009 at 14:48 admin

I think train would be the best way for most of that trip as outside of the Ha Long Bay legs it is straightforward by train. I don't like your chances of getting an English-speaking guide for $10 a day -- if you're already in Hanoi I'd suggest swinging by some of the travel agents to get an idea of what the going rate for a guide is.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,575
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by bristol on 29/12/2009 at 15:39

Posted from within Vietnam.

In my opinion, the trip you are proposing to do is feasible - 3 weeks being a happy medium however the excursion to Hue, Hoi An will eat into your time. I advice you make a trip like this..., explore 3D2N in Halong as first destination and then 3D/2N Sapa,3D2N in Hoa Binh ...all in the North of VN. Then travel around 2 weeks to Hue, Hoi An in the Middle.There has many historic sites in Hue, Hoian etc to go visit
The best transportation to get there:
Hanoi-Halong ( by cruise), back to Hanoi
Hanoi-Sapa ( by train)
Hoabinh - Hue- Hoian- Myson ( by train or by car)
Or you can go around the Old Quater and then search some recommended travel agent: Columbus, Hanspan, Singcafe... they are tour experts in Vietnam tours. Compare the prices then choose one for you. The tour always covers the English professional guide
Hope this help

#3 bristol has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 13

Posted by silversnapper on 30/12/2009 at 11:05

Camerondir, don't forget to add a the Dong Xuan market in Hanoi in your study. It's one of the oldest landmark there and you can see a lot of the activities there. You can learn a lot from there about the everyday life of the city, plus Hoan Kiem Lake is just near the market.

#4 silversnapper has been a member since 5/12/2009. Posts: 24

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.