Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Sending credit card details to hotels

Posted by meisos on 5/1/2010 at 18:44

Hi there,

I've been looking at booking hotels online and most only have a form where you can request the nights you require. They then send a follow up email requesting credit card details to confirm the booking.

Its not really safe to email credit card details around, so I was just wondering what other people out there do to confirm hotel bookings?

#1 meisos has been a member since 5/1/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/1/2010 at 19:16 admin

If you're dealing direct with a Vietnamese hotel it isn't unusual for them to request the card details along with a photocopy of both sides of your card.

Another option is to look through the resellers eg www.Agoda.com www.hotels.com www.hostelworld.com www.wotif.com etc

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by busylizzy on 5/1/2010 at 23:22

Also, try www.asiarooms.com

If booking reasonably close (eg within 1-3 days) to the time that you plan to show up, I would use stalling tactics (ie to create a delay) by following up with a series of questions about the room, the hotel - or whatever, but still indicating that you are wanting the room.

I guess it's a bit of a risk (will they give the room away?), but possibly less a risk than emailing your credit card details.

Most places that I have contacted directly (mainly in Vietnam and Cambodia) have not even asked for a credit card or deposit.

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by foieslinger on 6/1/2010 at 00:47

I contacted Holidays Hotel in Hanoi directly and booked a room for three nights (also requested a pick up at the airport). No one asked for any credit card info. Hopefully all will go according to plan.

#4 foieslinger has been a member since 11/11/2009. Posts: 36

Posted by grasshopper322 on 6/1/2010 at 01:57

When going thru a booking agency, I gave my CC number, no problems. Printed out the info to take with me just in case but never needed it. Most other places just take your word - if they don't have a room for you when you get there...don't worry, their brother or sister or uncle will have a guest house just down the street. Just take a look at it first and make them keep looking if you don't like it. We really never had a problem.

#5 grasshopper322 has been a member since 30/9/2009. Posts: 25

Posted by meisos on 6/1/2010 at 03:39

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Found the hotel on AsiaRooms.com, so was able to book via them.

#6 meisos has been a member since 5/1/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by hanoimikeshotel on 7/1/2010 at 13:53

Posted from within Vietnam.

I think they require you just letter of approval to make sure that you will come

#7 hanoimikeshotel has been a member since 6/1/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 10
 Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.