Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vinh Moc tunnels by motorbike from Dong Hoi?

Posted by Dylan on 15/1/2010 at 15:59

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi all,

As I work my way up the length of Vietnam, I'd like to try and see the tunnels/beaches at Vinh Moc (after reading the DMZ feature articles, the many of the other sights don't seem to be worth doing on my own).

Since Dong Ha seems to be an uncomfortable place to stay (and travel from), and since I'll only be hitting the north side of the DMZ, could I visit the tunnels
as a daytrip from Dong Hoi? I'd hope to do it on my own by motorbike, if rental is available there; it appears to be only 50km each way.

Anyone have any experience renting motorbikes/visiting the tunnels from Dong Hoi?

Many thanks!

#1 Dylan has been a member since 21/3/2009. Posts: 25
 Website 

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/1/2010 at 17:23 admin

No reason why you couldn't do it from Dong Hoi -- peeps do it from Dong Ha only because it is closer. Can't help on the motorbike hire side of things but I can't imagine it would be too difficult to find a rider willing to take you there.

Also, if you're in Dong Hoi, don't forget Phong Nha cave -- a new trip report just came in that covers it. You can read it here

Great blog btw -- lots of terrific pics!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,577
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Dylan on 16/1/2010 at 00:21

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks for the props on the pics! Means a lot coming from the guru of this site (one that originally inspired me to travel in SE Asia).

Hopefully there are bikes for me to rent in Dong Hoi ...I don't really fancy riding on a xe om for more than a few clicks, as my legs are too long for the back of most Honda Waves.

Will fill you in on the status of bike rental in Dong Hoi after I give it a go...

#3 Dylan has been a member since 21/3/2009. Posts: 25
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.