Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Hanoi, Ha long and Sapa

Posted by mitten on 16/1/2010 at 02:35

Hi there,

I'm planning a trip to Hanoi , Ha Long and Sapa . From everything I've read it seems as if the best way to get to Sapa is by over night train.

I would like to know whether I can just buy the train ticket when I arrive on my first day in Hanoi for my departure the following day? Or do I need to book in advance online before I get to Hanoi?

Also for the hotel in Sapa, should book online now or should i book when I arrive at Hanoi or just walk in when I arrive at Sapa?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

#1 mitten has been a member since 13/1/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/1/2010 at 09:00 admin

Hi mitten,

The trains do book up quickly, but if you have some flexibility I'd say not to bother booking in advance -- at worst if the trains are full you can go the next day...

No need to book in advance for Sapa as there are heaps of places to stay there.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,644
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by oscarcat on 18/1/2010 at 19:26

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just back from Sa Pa on trains both up and down to Lao Cai we were offered upgrades to own cabins for varying amounts if USD suggesting certainly at the moment the trains are not very full. Our cabin mates on the way back took the upgarde option for 20USD only to discover the entire carriage was nearly empty afterwards!

#3 oscarcat has been a member since 11/11/2008. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 66

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.