Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

To Halong or not to Halong!! Help

Posted by sklsk8s on 2/2/2010 at 13:43

So my question is;with (4) kids in tow and only six weeks, should Halong Bay be a for sure on our itinery?
The more I read posts and web info I'm confused as to whether or not we shoould route away from this potential trap.
Could someone please slap me with some straight advice?
Love the site,you guy's are amazing.Thx in advance.

#1 sklsk8s has been a member since 2/2/2010. Posts: 5

Posted by NYTim on 2/2/2010 at 23:25

Y9u have to go contact Sinh Tourist at

It was fantastic.

#2 NYTim has been a member since 11/9/2009. Posts: 106

Posted by DLuek on 3/2/2010 at 01:52 TF writer

I enjoyed it - didn't think of it as a "trap" per se although it is very touristy. I'll skip it next time but am happy to have seen it once in my life. It is beautiful there, and probably the #1 tourism site in all of Vietnam... 6 weeks is a good amount of time so if you're going to be in Ha Noi I'd say why not? If you do go try to spend a night or two on Cat Ba Island...

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,177
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by sklsk8s on 3/2/2010 at 02:04

Thx for the info. I am still pondering though!
Travelling with 4 little ones requires a bit more planning and is made slightly more difficult when you are someone whom doesn't like to plan to much in advance.......

#4 sklsk8s has been a member since 2/2/2010. Posts: 5

Posted by themuths on 3/2/2010 at 04:07

You don't really need to set anything up in advance, there are boats leaving for the bay constantly from Bai Chay everyday, so even with kids riding the bus there from Hanoi, getting a hotel, and then getting a boat wouldn't be terribly difficult... depends also if you want to just do a day cruise or spend the night aboard a junk.
It's definitely a great experience, worth seeing for sure, and the kids would enjoy the caves and kayaking too if they are old enough.

#5 themuths has been a member since 16/9/2009. Location: United States. Posts: 21

Posted by sklsk8s on 3/2/2010 at 04:28

Hey Thx a bunch...I think we will put Halong back on the trip planner...

I definetly have a million questions so you might be hearing from me again.

#6 sklsk8s has been a member since 2/2/2010. Posts: 5

Posted by Fattymac on 3/2/2010 at 08:26

I did it a couple of weeks ago.. It was beautiful and amazing. It's a couple of hours from Hanoi though but the bus ride went quickly.

I would definitely do it again....

#7 Fattymac has been a member since 10/7/2009. Posts: 28

Posted by Archmichael on 3/2/2010 at 10:31

Hello, sklsk8s:

We went on a 2-day, 1-night trip via Indochina Sails, mid-April '09. There are so many companies doing this, you can certainly find one that suits you (both in terms of experience and cost). It is an amazing place. Hopefully, you will have sunny weather. It was gray & misty when we went......but still beautiful, for all of that.

Go. You'll not regret it (understanding, of course, that you are quite unlikely to be in a remote area, with no other boats in sight). Take it for what it is & enjoy the experience.

"Only six weeks". Great attitude. Travel on!

#8 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396
 Send Archmichael a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.