Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vietnam Visa but no particular dates

Posted by zoedimak on 17/2/2010 at 02:53

Hi! Sorry for posting another visa related question.. I know the visa for Vietnam is a tricky one as you need to get one in advance and not in arrival. I want to arrange the papers and everything but I don't have a ticket, or anything that proves when I'll be going in or out yet. We are planning to do the whole Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam etc trip but only have a ticket for Thailand so far and no fixed dates or papers for the rest? Any advice?
Thanks in advance!
z

#1 zoedimak has been a member since 17/2/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by DLuek on 17/2/2010 at 09:42 TF writer

You don't need proof of onward travel to get a visa for Vietnam. On the part of the application that says "point of imbarcation/debarcation", just right in the border crossings (or airports) that you think you'll be using to go in and out of the country. Last time I left the country through a different crossing than I had specified on the application but had no problems. I would doubt there would be a problem if you enter through a different crossing than you specify either. But if I were you I'd put together a loose itinerary and plan out where you'll pick up your visas and where/how you'll cross into Vietnam. Vientiane and Phomh Penh are both recommendable places to pick up a cheap Vietnam visa, but Bangkok works too. If you fly into the country through Hanoi or HCMC you can pre-arrange a visa on arrival and this works fine too. Plenty of advice on how to do that in the Travelfish forums. Good luck

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by rebeccafarrent on 18/2/2010 at 11:12

Even though you don't have to prove your onward travel when applying for a Vietnamese visa but you're required to specify your date of arrival in and departure out of the country. Plus, you're allowed to enter later than the specified date of arrival, but never earlier. Similarly you're permitted to exit earlier than the specified date of departure but never later. Hope this helps

#3 rebeccafarrent has been a member since 2/5/2009. Posts: 37

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.