Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia in a month

Posted by kye1 on 1/3/2010 at 10:04

Hi all,
Im heading over to Vietnam, cambodia and Loas for a month in July and was going to fly in and out of Ho Chi Min. Then i was going to head up through cambodia and laos to Hanio and back down the coast of Vietnam.
Just wondering what ppl thought were the best things to see through here and if i was wasting my time and should fly to major cities and look around the area instead of traveling on bus, scooter, boat (what ever) right through.
Any tips would be muchly appreciated. I was also not going to book accom and just go with the flow as that is what i did in Thialand...is it still ok to do that in these countries. Never been a booker :)
Cheers

#1 kye1 has been a member since 1/3/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by wombatfuz on 1/3/2010 at 10:17

I found this very useful when I did my research
https://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-indochina-tour1

You need to nailed down your interest. Is it culture, adventure or rest & relax? Then eliminate the destinations from the above sample plan based on what your are not keen on.

What is your budget? One month is not a lot of time for 3 countries. If you have a big budget, then fly to major cities. Land transport takes much longer and will be a waste of your short time unless it is overnight travel. July is the rainy season so land travel will be slow. It might to a good experience to take a boat ride since water level are higher and could speed up the ride.

#2 wombatfuz has been a member since 30/12/2009. Posts: 38

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/3/2010 at 16:28 admin

That's a lot to try and cover in a month -- you'll be spending most of your time travelling between places. More attainable would be a month for southern Vietnam, southern Laos and Cambodia. Take a look at the trip planning thing mentioned above for some ideas on travel times.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by NayNay on 5/3/2010 at 09:41

Hi There,
I will be in Vietnam and Laos in July as well. I'm starting at Ho Chih Minh and working my way up through the coast of Vietnam (through Hue and Hoi An) and finishing in Hanoi. From there i will be travelling over to Laos to meet a friend from where we will work our way down through Thailand. I will be travelling on my own in Vietnam.

Places i am seeing in Vietnam are:
1. Ho Chi Minh
2. Mui Ne
3. Phu Quoc Island
4. Hue
5. Hoi An
6. Hanoi

what was your rough iteneray? Lonely planet books are an awesome help in figuring out places to see!

#4 NayNay has been a member since 4/3/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by Archmichael on 5/3/2010 at 11:37

Hello, Kye1:

#5 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396
 Send Archmichael a private message 

Posted by Archmichael on 5/3/2010 at 11:45

Let's try this again....

Kye1: As Somtam said, an awful lot to take on in one month. You could probably see Sai Gon, Phnom Penh, eastern Cambodia (Ratanakiri, Mondulkiri -- where the rains will impede forward movement), up to 4000 Islands and Pak Xe in Lao, then over to Hoi An and down the coast, back to Sai Gon.

I'd suggest really refining (e.g., paring down) your list of must-sees ... and being clear about your budget. Flying some legs could save a bit of time, but cost more. If you want to see southern Lao, over-land is pretty much the only way coming from Cambodia or Viet Nam. The Pak Xe airport, if I understand correctly, is still closed.

Happy travels!

#6 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396
 Send Archmichael a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.