Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam additions forum

Phu Quoc... Isolated paradise or tourist central?

Posted by LionAndTheBear on 30/4/2012 at 03:14

Hi guys, my girlfriend and I are hoping to go to Phu Quoc for Christms this year. Over the past couple of days i've read quite a lot about the island but am unsure at how up to date the information is. We would prefer to go somewhere where we're very isolated, perhaps a beach hut but aren't too far from a local shop / resturaunt. Should we expect this from Phu Quoc?
I read that the island has an airport now? Has this increased tourism too much?

I'd be interested to hear other island suggestions too please?

#1 LionAndTheBear has been a member since 29/4/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by caseyprich on 30/4/2012 at 05:10

Island had an airport back in 2010 when we went there (February), a few days either side of Tet it was not very busy. If you take a look at this map ( you'll see that Long Beach has a pretty dense set of accommodations. That said, this is where you want to stay if you want restaurants and shops anywhere near you. If you stay on the far end it is still pretty isolated.

However, if you want to be really out there I recommend Bo Resort or Mango Bay. Sadly the best of the 3, Thong Loi, is no longer in operation (as I've been told from the previous owners). The beach north of Bo Resort is several KM of nobody but sand crabs, not a structure in your sight line north, and nobody but the occasional fellow guest at Bo or a day-tripper coming in via boat off the ocean.
We found Bai Sao to be a bit dirty, though the sand was truly white powder there was a lot of trash and every day-trip snorkling expedition includes a stop off at that beach in their itinerary for anyone staying anywhere on the island.

Ong Lang is far more isolated, if you want to get into town you have to hire a scooter, but when we were staying at Thong Loi we really didn't want to leave the place, good food, good coffee, great atmosphere, no reason to step off the porch.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.