Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

UK flight to BKK then another flight to Laos - Need to stamp Thai visa?

Posted by Jleef on 27/4/2010 at 21:22

I was looking at returning to BKK in the next couple of weeks but given the new Foreign Office suggestions, I am now considering hopping on to a flight to Laos or Vietnam as soon as I arrive in BKK, and eventually returning to Thailand when things cool off.

My 2nd flight will likely be a separate airline from the one that will take me from London to BKK. Will I therefore have to pass through immigrations before checking in to my second airline? I know with connecting flights this is not necessary but as the 2nd flight is probably going to be a completely different operation, I'm wondering if immigration checks are unavoidable?

The reason I ask is that I already have a 60 day Thai visa which I'd rather not waste on 60 minutes in an airport. Failing the option of somehow bypassing immigration, would I be within my rights to ask for a new visa stamp in order to be able to use my existing 60 day visa at a later date?

#1 Jleef has been a member since 6/7/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 36

Posted by SBE on 27/4/2010 at 22:22

No worries, just ask explain things to the immigration official and ask them not to stamp your 60 day visa right now.

They'll no doubt just give you a free 30 day stamp instead of "activating" your 60 day tourist visa.

I've done this a few times and have never had any problems.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by Jleef on 27/4/2010 at 22:48

Great, thanks!

I just hope my insurance provider won't object to me basing my trip around BKK airport, otherwise I'll have to base the whole thing around starting and finishing in Vietnam!

#3 Jleef has been a member since 6/7/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 36

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.