Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

If I get A Tourist Visa For Thailand, Can I..........

Posted by JamieG on 23/7/2010 at 03:53

Hi Guys,

Just wondering,

If I get a tourist visa before I leave for Thailand, preferably one allowing 60 days, if I leave Thailand, which I plan too for Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, can I come back through Thailand and get a visa free entry???

Just wondering for planning purposes!


#1 JamieG has been a member since 5/5/2010. Posts: 17

Posted by exacto on 23/7/2010 at 04:25

Hi Jamie,

The short answer is yes. You'll get 15 days for free if you cross back into Thailand by land and 30 days for free if you arrive back into Thailand by air for most countries. This is technically a visa waiver, not a visa. Check the website of the Thai embassy or consulate nearest you for a complete list of how many days your home country gets for free.

Thailand extended the 60-day fee-free tourist visa unti early 2011, so you should be able to get one of those before you leave. I did that last year through the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles and the only cost was paying postage both ways (they want express mail, so it was about $30 all up for postage) and the cost of the photos required with the application. Having the 60 days instead of just 30 worked really well for my itinerary on that trip too.

Like you, I left Thailand (went to Laos) and then came back about 10 days later. The nice lady at the border cheerfully stamped me in for 15 days.

If you do get the 60-day tourist visa, just make sure that they stamp you in for 60 days when you arrive at the airport. Sometimes they get so used to the 30-day visa waiver that they don't stamp you in for the full 60 days even if you have the tourist visa. Not a big problem, just make sure. Hope that helps. Have a great trip. Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,759
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.