Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Help/advice on ticket

Posted by austintexas512 on 3/8/2010 at 23:40

So I am planning to get a one-way ticket to BKK, but I have been told the airline might not let me on the flight without a visa or some sort of onward travel.. If I apply for a Thailand Visa before I leave so they let me on the flight, will the 30 or 60 days start counting down when I get there? Will it "pause" if I cross over into Cambodia? I am very confused on how this works, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

#1 austintexas512 has been a member since 31/7/2010. Posts: 8

Posted by busylizzy on 4/8/2010 at 03:46

The countdown will start when you arrive, and will expire when you leave. It doesn't 'pause' while you travel elsewhere.

You get the Thai visa's on arrival (actually, I think it's an exemption rather than a visa). You get 30 days if you arrive by air; 15 days if you arrive overland.

If you plan to arrive in Thailand, go to Cambodia then come back to Thailand for an extended period, you can apply for the 2-month visa, and use this for your return trip to Thailand. It will kick in on the day that you hand it over. (But I think it has to be used within 90 days of applying for it.)

If you apply for the 2-month visa, I suspect you may need to provide your exit flight details (I had to when applying for a 2-month Indonesia visa).

Also - I had heard that some airlines (esp from the UK) might not let you board if you don't have ticket for ongoing travel. I haven't heard that they would accept a Visa as proof. Double-check on that one.

There has been quite a bit of discussion on this on other threads - have a look around.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.