Text page

Visas and border crossings

Visas and border crossings forum

Requirements in Beijing for a Thai Tourist Visa, the same everywhere else?

Posted by brouillette on 20/8/2010 at 23:17

I just went to the Thai Visa consular in Beijing the other day and they required these documents:
*proof of funds (10,000 rmb/1,500 usd)
*residency permit
*a company or school to vouch for me as their employee or student (not possible to get past if you aren't working or in college)

Wondering if it is this difficult anywhere else to apply for a 30 day tourist visa?
I'm an American, aware of the 15 days free. Not willing to travel by air as an alternative for the 30 days, the visa is so inexpensive compared to a plane ticket.

Has anyone tried applying in Kunming or any other locations in PR China? Or Laos?

#1 brouillette has been a member since 20/8/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by SBE on 21/8/2010 at 02:26

I can't understand why you're applying for a 30 day tourist visa rather than the (free) 60 day one. I suppose Thai consulates must issue 30 day visas for some nationalities but 60 day tourist visas are the standard issue for US citizens.

If Thai consulates in China are problematic then the Thai embassy in Vientiane won't be... but I think all those weird demands for proof of residency and a school to vouch for you might be because you've asked for the wrong visa. They might be more strict with people from countries who are not entitled to a free 30 day entry stamp.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,055

Posted by brouillette on 21/8/2010 at 03:51

Actually I was unaware of that. Must have been because I didn't mention the 60 day visa. When i told her i was just a tourist without these documents, she shrugged and said, "then I don't know how you want me to help you". I really thought it was hopeless!
Knowing this is available, this is news to me. thank you!

#3 brouillette has been a member since 20/8/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by stickmansucks on 30/7/2012 at 13:20


Any update about Thai tourist visa at Beijing ?

They won't issue it easily to foreigners now ?


#4 stickmansucks has been a member since 10/6/2011. Posts: 22

Posted by LaraHelen on 30/7/2012 at 20:41

You can use visa service on the internet to help you in this case. You only need pay service fee and they can help you solve difficulty. This way is better than you do it by yourself.

#5 LaraHelen has been a member since 13/7/2012. Posts: 35

Posted by Captain_Bob on 1/8/2012 at 00:35

Fly in, get 30 days visa-exempt (depending on your nationality). Or go to the Thai consulate in Vientiane. They do single/double entry tourist visas without any hassles or proof of flight/funds/etc.

#6 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,955

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.