Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Laos to Cambodia

Posted by daviddwilly on 20/12/2010 at 08:29

I was just wondering if it is possible to cross the border between Laos and Cambodia over land? and if it is possible to get a visa for Cambodia at this crossing. Also what is the best crossing to take?
many thanks.

#1 daviddwilly has been a member since 17/12/2010. Posts: 17
 Twitter 

Posted by busylizzy on 20/12/2010 at 08:43

Check out this page: https://www.travelfish.org/border_crossings/laos Scroll halfway down the page.

It looks like you've got one option...

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 23/12/2010 at 17:42

Yeah there's only one crossing and visa on arrival is available there.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,903

Posted by shotgun on 23/12/2010 at 20:34

Dont do it to yourself, the bus ride is torture. If you decide to ignore my advice, pick up some Valium in Pakse beforehand.

#4 shotgun has been a member since 20/2/2010. Posts: 15
 Website 

Posted by svendj on 23/12/2010 at 22:02

I did it by myself, got back from Don Det island, took a local bus to the border, got my visa there, and started walking towards Stung Treng (as it was in the afternoon and taxi's try to rip you off). after 5km walking a local guy turned up and took us to Stung Treng for less then nothing. Though you do don't want to do it this way as you might end up without a ride.

book a bus in Pakse or 4000 islands to Stung Treng, trip is really short, from Pakse to Stung Treng took me about 4 hours, Don Det to Stung treng, about 1,5 hour, not that far or I might have been lucky to be on local busses that drive to kill!

ah well, visa at the border: no problem at all!

#5 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Posted by Rasheeed on 23/1/2011 at 11:11

Cross the border, then come visit me in Banlung!

'sheeed

#6 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 5/2/2011 at 02:41

Maybe wasted advice (if you've already done it since posting on 20/12/2010) but you're probably crossing from Pakse or the 4000 Islands into Cambodia. Pretty much every agent or guesthouse/hotel there can book your ride, but don't book a ride only to the border (where you are at the mercy of many opportunistic vultures). Book transport (van, pickup, whatever) at least as far as Stung Treng or Kratie (but not to Phnom Penh which is too far same day). Transport prices should be around $15-20 (USD) to those recommended destinations. Then pause for a night and decide where is next since you'll then be on the proper road network with a choice of buses. Going further check out transport options on the link below, and better to buy bus tickets at bus stations not agents if you want to save a few bucks.

Bus info here:
http://www.canbypublications.com/cambodia/buses.htm
Big map here:
http://www.canbypublications.com/maps/cambodia-map-large.htm

#7 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,903

Posted by daviddwilly on 14/3/2011 at 04:23

Hi guys,

thanks again for all of the above advice especially @Captain_Bob for the map and bus info, we still haven't done this part of our journey yet so all information is always welcome.

How much would I be looking at for the visa? and transport to Stung Treng all in do you think? this would be for 2 people

#8 daviddwilly has been a member since 17/12/2010. Posts: 17
 Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.