Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

From China to Laos

Posted by Ignas on 30/12/2010 at 19:47

Hello

I am living in Yunnan, Yuxi city, and ready to go to Laos soon, need advice which way is best to cross border to Laos that could be possible to get visa on arrival. Is it going through Mengla?

At the same time another question. Can I get tourist visa to Vietnam while being in Laos, how many days it takes?

#1 Ignas has been a member since 24/9/2010. Posts: 16

Posted by svendj on 30/12/2010 at 22:11

visa on arrival is possible if you are coming by bus or you could arrange it in Kunming, it's all the same.
Yes, the bus is going trough Mengla. If you plan on stopping in Mengla for a night (and you're not Chinese) make sure to have some cash with you as most atm's tend to fail sometimes (couldn't take money out with master card or visa-card, ...).

The bus will probably stop in Mengla and you have to switch to another bus that's going to the border and then to Luang Namtha and normally further to Oudomxay as well.

Visa for Vietnam can be made in Vientianne, don't know if they do it elsewhere. Takes you a day or so, all depends how you arrange it or if you go to the embassy yourself. you can extend your Vietnam visa for 6 months once you're in Vietnam.

grtz

#2 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Send svendj a private message   Where has svendj been? 

Posted by christay2009 on 31/12/2010 at 04:00

Good point on the ATM's - my friends got to Mengla after 8 hours, realised they didn't have enough cash, had to take a bus 1-2 hours back in the opposite direction, get cash, spend the night in that place, bus back to Mengla...on to Laos. Not the way to do it!

see my recent post here on China>Laos https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/laos/12928_china--kunming--to-laos-to-thailand

When i was there, and friends since, the bus is from X place in China to Mengla. Get off, find a bus into Laos. Someone did say there was a direct bus from Kunming though. Maybe even in the link i just posted... so check it out

#3 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414
 Send christay2009 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.