Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Visa- to thailand and back from KL

Posted by elissabrown on 12/1/2011 at 16:24

Hi Everyone, wondering if anyone can help.

I am taking a 7 week trip in March and so that I can do a big chunk of SE Asia have booked flights to BKK from london and back from KL. I was told by tha airline to get a Thai visa in advance as they will not be able to see I am leaving by air in less than 30 days.
Essentially I am wondering if its best to get all the visas in advance - or its easy (other than Thailand) to do en route? Also if pasing back and forth through the countries is ok

I plan on only being in Thailand a few days on arrival then
Cambodia
Vietnam- hcmc etc
Back to Bangkok to fly

To Bali
To Malaysia/ KL

Then home

or thereabouts

Any info would be great- if I am being unrealistic it gives me the opportunity to book any air asia flights etc/ get organised beforehand

#1 elissabrown has been a member since 12/1/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 18/1/2011 at 14:14

Classic scenario, no proof of onward flight out of Thailand within 30 days because you intend to travel overland in the region. But airlines usually require either an air ticket out of Thailand within 30 days or a Thai visa in your passport. A couple choices then; 1) Buy a cheap Air Asia flight online to Phnom Penh within the 30-day period, or 2) get a Thai tourist visa at a consulate in the UK in advance (Hull has the most efficient and user-friendly service). Either option will clear you through the airline pre-boarding requirements.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by elissabrown on 18/1/2011 at 23:36

Thanks Bob!

I also found out in the meantime that if you get your Thai visa from the embassy in London, in person, you can get a free 60 day tourist visa at the moment. Perfect. http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/newversion/visa/visa_main.html

#3 elissabrown has been a member since 12/1/2011. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.