Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Laos/Cambodia border crossing - overland

Posted by razzy on 20/12/2006 at 08:26

Hi all.
I'm curious and anxious to know about people's experiences crossing the laos/cambodain border overland. My travel agent advised me not to do it, as the Cambodian side is in guerilla territory. If I have to fly, this really disturbs my itinerary, but at the same time I'm not prepared to take too many risks.
Any advice/references/personal experience is very welcomed.
Thanks!

#1 razzy has been a member since 15/12/2006. Posts: 9

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/12/2006 at 23:07 admin

"Guerilla territory" -- not anymore - not for a long time.

The crossing in question has been open and operating more or less normally for a few years now.

It's a fairly straightforward crossing -- you can opt for travelling by boat or bus -- most are opting for bus to avoid inflated boat prices.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,577
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by TessaW on 21/12/2006 at 00:59

It is also worth bearing in mind that you must have either your Lao or Cambodian visa in advance. This might be out of date info by now but last I heard, you couldn't get either on arrival. The journey from Northeastern Cambodia to Phnom Penh is amazing and pretty untravelled. Definitely worth taking a side trip to go to Banlung in Ratanakiri and do as much of the journey from Stung Treng to Phnom Penh (via Kratie) by boat as you can. Kratie is also worth a night for its lovely colonial atmosphere and to try and spot the river dolphins. I'd say this is one of the best journeys in all of SE Asia.

#3 TessaW has been a member since 9/11/2006. Posts: 8

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/12/2006 at 07:22 admin

You need a Lao visa in advance, but Cambodian visa on arrival is issued at the land crossing.

Agree with TessaW -- it's a beautiful slice of the world up in those parts.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,577
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.