Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Bus from Vientiane to Bangkok - Visa on arrival?

Posted by zilpah on 21/2/2011 at 17:29

Hi,
I'm am American in Laos right now, thinking about taking a bus from Vientiane to Bangkok next week. My question is about the Thailand visa. I know I get a free 15-day visa for arriving overland, but where will that happen? Will the bus stop for visas as we cross the border? Should I try to go to the embassy and get a visa beforehand? Any info would be really appreciated.
Thanks!

#1 zilpah has been a member since 21/2/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by svendj on 21/2/2011 at 19:44

you just get the visa at the border. if you booked a bus from Vientiane to Bangkok I don't know how that actually works. I always get to the border myself as it isn't that far, cross it and then catch a bus in Nong Khai to Bangkok, or even the train would be a better option.

#2 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 22/2/2011 at 09:39 TF writer

Yes, the bus stops at the border. You need to stamp out of Laos and then get a Thai visa. The bus to Bangkok is usually full of foreigners, so it'll wait for everyone to get their visas done!

#3 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by Captain_Bob on 26/2/2011 at 18:31

If you still have time go to the Thai consulate in Vientiane and get a proper tourist visa. Apply 830am and pickup next day at 1pm (M-F only). Sure it's a small hassle but will permit you a 60-day entry extendable 30 more. But if you just need the 15 day visa exemption, go ahead and just take the bus and yes they have to stop and process everyone's passports on departure from the Laos side of the bridge and on arrival on the Thai side.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,892

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.