Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Thailand, away, and then back again - what visa do I need/will I be allowed in?

Posted by HexagonalBolts on 5/5/2011 at 06:39

Hello everyone,

I know that there are ton of threads asking this question but I can't find any that apply to my specific case.

I live in England. I am flying to Thailand from Nepal on June 29th. I want to stay there for around 21 days. I will then go travelling in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, and return to Thailand for a few days just to get my flight back home from Bangkok on August 19th. At first I thought I would be OK with a visa exemption, as I am there for under 30 days, and then when re-arriving by land for under 15 days - but then I read that I will not be allowed in to the country by my airline if I do not have a visa or a flight booked to go out of the country within 30 days - so am I required to get a visa?

This is very confusing to me so thank you very much for any replies!

#1 HexagonalBolts has been a member since 5/5/2011. Posts: 12

Posted by Nixxypie on 5/5/2011 at 16:18

I booked my flights for 32 days in SE Asia, and I'm pretty much following your route. When booking the travel agent at STA Travel told us that we would only need the free 30 day by air then further 15 days by land visa. She didn't mention anything about needing an on going flight within the time, so I hope not!

#2 Nixxypie has been a member since 27/4/2011. Posts: 55

Posted by svendj on 5/5/2011 at 16:59

it's all good. If you leave England and they tell you there that you actually need the visa, just tell them that you get one at the airport in thailand for 30 days and that you will be travelling by land to another country. I've never had any problems with that in the last 3,5 years.

#3 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Send svendj a private message   Where has svendj been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.