Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Crossing into Thailand by land - Visa extension

Posted by flexo_24 on 12/5/2011 at 13:05

Hi guys,

So, a pretty simple question, and one that I'm a bit emabrassed to be asking on this sort of forum as I'm sure the answer is out there, but I've been trawling the internet and travelfish for hours now and can't find the answer. So apologies if this is a really easy question to answer.

I'm hoping to cycle from Singapore all the way up to the Thai border where I'll get a 15 Day Visa (as I'm entering on land) so then I have 15 days to get an extension on the visa. The question is just where and how do I actually do this? Is it just a case of going along to the embassy in the street, or can I extend it on the day that I actually cross the border? Or is there anything else that I don't seem to know about?

Thank you :~)

#1 flexo_24 has been a member since 9/3/2011. Posts: 3
 Send flexo_24 a private message 

Posted by svendj on 12/5/2011 at 17:03

so you want an extension on your 15 day visa for thailand: not possible.
you can arrange a new visa while in thailand (for 1 month) but this will not be an extension of the 15 free visa (which is just a stamp anyway).

Look on the internet for the embassies. if there's nothing around from the place where you are, just get it done at some tourist centre. can take you 1 to 3 days till you get it back. otherwise just go to BKK and arrange it yourself. I don't now where all the places are to get a thai visa but there should be many.

I've been to BKK, Chiang Mai, Nong Khai and Udon Thani for visa's so you'll probably find something down south as well.

good luck

#2 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Send svendj a private message   Where has svendj been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by Captain_Bob on 13/5/2011 at 23:36

Entering Thailand on a 15-day visa exemption (not a visa) you can extend that by only seven days at a cost of 1900 baht. This is done at any Thailand Immigration office in the country List Here (click the Checkpoints tab).

You cannot get a Thai tourist visa inside Thailand unless your nationality qualifies for "visa on arrival" (mostly East Europeans) and then only at specified entry points. Sounds like it doesn't apply to you though.

Anyway if you want to stay in Thailand longer than 15 days entering by land get a proper tourist visa in Singapore or Malaysia (KL, Kota Bharu, or Penang). And with further visa-related questions it helps to know your nationality. Cheers.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,944

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.