Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Anyone entered Thailand overland recently?

Posted by christay2009 on 27/7/2011 at 22:04

Yes, another question on Thai visa exemptions...

Has anyone crossed into Thailand overland recently and been given the 15 day exemption?

I am debating my trip right now but it will almost certainly end up with me crossing into Laos from Thailand then back into Thailand.

I called the UK Thai consulate recently (about something else) and they bashed me over the head with how I must have onward travel proof for an exemption if I cross overland (and Air) into Thailand. I did not even mention doing it, I was ringing about a Visa!

Thanks again :)

#1 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414

Posted by sayadian on 27/7/2011 at 22:18

I came through Poipet into Thailand from Cambodia on July 5th and no one asked me for any proof whatsoever.They did however, search my bag which was a first in the many years I've been crossing.Hope you get more replies to see what the general consensus is.The only border where I've been asked for proof was Pailin but that was part of a scam to sell non-existent return bus tickets.

#2 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by Captain_Bob on 27/7/2011 at 23:11

"I must have onward travel proof for an exemption if I cross overland (and Air) into Thailand"

Bollocks. No such proof required crossing from neighbouring country.

The only time this is "required" may be when flying from the UK (or other 1st-world country) to Thailand, when airline staff are instructed to ask for proof of an onward flight OR a Thai visa of some kind. But in your case, no such requirement. Thai Immigration never ask for this.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,902

Posted by christay2009 on 27/7/2011 at 23:17

Thanks for the responses, I will be getting a Thai visa here in the UK just for the 30 days so that I don't have any trouble with the airline.

I did fly into Thailand from Malaysia in 09 with no issue but things change.

I am just worried about being stuck if I try to cross from Laos into Thailand overland and not be allowed in or something. I have plenty of funds lol just won't have proof of onward travel as I will be leaving Thailand by land too...

eugh [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#4 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414

Posted by Captain_Bob on 29/7/2011 at 01:34

"worried about being stuck if I try to cross from Laos into Thailand overland and not be allowed in"

Don't worry, you'll be fine

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,902

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.