Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Don't shoot me....!

Posted by le1979 on 23/8/2011 at 20:53

..... it's ANOTHER Thai visa question. In my defence I'm in India on a dodgy connection which could go anytime.....
We are travelling across India to Calcutta and from there we want to fly into Hanoi . All the flights go via bangkok. I'm going to be meeting my sister in bkk on the 17th November and was planning on flying in to get 30 day visa. If we got a flight from Calcutta to Hanoi via bangkok would it mean I won't be able to get the 30 visa when I meet my sister? Or can I get a transit visa on arrival from Calcutta? Won't be leaving bkk airport then.
Thanks so much i really appreciate it

#1 le1979 has been a member since 22/6/2011. Posts: 11
 Twitter 

Posted by KirstyB on 24/8/2011 at 03:49

All the info can be found here https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/visabordercrossings/172_visa-and-border-crossing-news---please-read-this-before-postting-
But as I know internet in India can be very unreliable and painfully slow, in the good spirit of benefit of the doubt .... if you remain in transit at Bangkok no visa is required (transit or otherwise). If you pass through immigration you will get stamped in to the country for 30 days even if only staying a few hours. You will also still get stamped in again for a further 30 days when you fly back into Bangkok on 17 November. This is providing you hold a passport for one of the 40 countries mentioned in the above link.

#2 KirstyB has been a member since 27/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 151
 Send KirstyB a private message   Where has KirstyB been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by Captain_Bob on 24/8/2011 at 17:14

It depends entirely on which airline/s you're flying Kolkata-Bangkok- Hanoi . If it is a "connecting" flight i.e. you're checked straight through to Hanoi and remain "airside" at Bangkok airport you don't need any visa (or the "visa-exemption" you are refering to) as you don't actually go through immigration/customs and remain in the transit area only between flights. If it's a point-to-point carrier like Air Asia, however, it is NOT connecting and up to you to clear immigration and customs before checking in for the onward flight.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by le1979 on 24/8/2011 at 21:41

Great thanks guys. I tried reading thru it all three times and kept losing connection :) It looks like the flights all say connect in airort so I think I just hang around in transit therefore no visa. Really appreciate your help xxx

#4 le1979 has been a member since 22/6/2011. Posts: 11
 Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.