Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Thai Tourist visa entries/length of stay

Posted by Gorey on 24/10/2011 at 23:01

Hello there,
Apologies in advance if this has already been answered a hundred times, I did a search but not sure if I found my answer. My brain may have already been melted by talking to two Thai consulates today.

I'm needing to be in Thailand between 1st Dec and 30th Mar and I'm a bit lost regarding the 90 days max in 6 months thing. If I applied for a 60 Day toursit visa and extended it to 90 then got a cheap return flight to make up the rest of the time would that be acceptable? I've read that the '90 in 6 months' rule doesn't apply when using a tourist visa only visa-free entries but I've also read conflicting information.

I've spoken to the embassy in London and consulate in Cardiff but honestly was left more confused since they pretty much just read out the visa regulations to me. I'd always been able to get by on 30 and 15 day lengths to get around so it's all rather confusing. One suggestion they gave was to get a double entry 60 day tourist visa but the next person I spoke to said that wouldn't be possible.

Appreciate any help.

#1 Gorey has been a member since 26/3/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 58

Posted by altmtl on 25/10/2011 at 00:40

I suggest you get a double entry 60 day tourist visa, it is possible, I've done it and it's cheaper than getting a 30 day extension, or leave after 60 days & get another 60 day visa in Cambodia or Laos, which again is cheaper than flying back into Thailand.

#2 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by Captain_Bob on 28/10/2011 at 01:47

The 90 days in six months "rule" no longer exists. It was eliminated a couple years ago when they changed the visa-exempt entry by land allowance to 15 days. Anyway it never applied to actual tourist visas so forget it. For your 4-month visit getting a double-entry tourist visa is definitely the best option. If London won't do it for some reason just apply to the consulate in Hull by mail (very user-friendly)

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,947

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.