Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Entering Vietnam with no departure flight.

Posted by Donman1990 on 7/1/2013 at 01:20

I'm flying into Vietnam from Australia and I'm still unsure about entry requirements. I know in some cases you need proof of departure to be allowed to even board your flight. I haven't planned on buying my return flight until later in my trip as I will be travelling for roughly 6 months, so at this stage I'll be leaving Vietnam by bus. I'm planing on obtaining a 3 month multiple entry Visa or will soon, is that all that I need to be allowed in? I already did contact the Vietnam Embassy in Australia but it didn't really clear it up for me. I was also wondering if anyone had advice on whether it would be smarter to just get a 3 month single entry Visa and if I chose to enter back into Vietnam get a Shorter Visa from the country I will be in, or to get the Multiple entry one from the start?

Sorry if this is all a bit messy, I'm just really looking for advice from Australians who have done similar things before or anyone really.

Cheers.

#1 Donman1990 has been a member since 7/4/2012. Posts: 34

Posted by nufan32 on 10/1/2013 at 10:13

Don't worry I flew in from canada with no departure date. You'll either get Single entry 30 day or multi entry. That's all that matters. On my visa on arrival I just put departure date around 30 days from entry. No problems.

#2 nufan32 has been a member since 24/11/2012. Posts: 8

Posted by daawgon on 10/1/2013 at 12:38

Officials at Vietnamese Embassies are known to give false info about visa costs, so other info is in question too. I've been there 5 times, and never been asked to show any proof on onward travel. I use the VOA Approval Letter, and I have the Form on Arrival all prepared - last time on Nov 30th, I breezed through and had my visa in minutes. They've really speeded up the processing at Hanoi Airport - thought I had landed in another country!

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,113

Posted by ryder80 on 10/1/2013 at 15:40

i'm from canada myself, toronto, looking to go to vietnam for a motor-bike tour.

i'm looking to go for more than a month, so will need to get like a 60 day or 90 day visa, guess it is best to just purchase the visa here in toronto, if possible? what's tghe cheapest and most efficient way, purchase online or...?

thanks

#4 ryder80 has been a member since 19/12/2010. Posts: 83

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.