Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

To visa or not to visa, what to do if going from mainland China into Hong Kong.

Posted by Fabian on 4/2/2013 at 06:24

Maybe someone can answer this one:

I am travelling through China.

And I am using the last entry of my visa (I applied and got 2, but I went out to southeast asia countries, and then got back into China again).

My flight home leaves from Beijing.

I want to go to Hong Kong (I don't need a visa for HK).

When in HK,

do I need to apply for a new visa for China to go back to Beijing, or my visa is still valid?

Have I "burned out" my last entrance when I got into HK, or I am "still in China itself" somehow?

This thing of HK has me puzzled...

Thanks if anyone know the ansewer.

#1 Fabian has been a member since 4/2/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by kitebo on 6/2/2013 at 15:16

Hi Fabian,

Yes, your visa will expire when you enter HK. However, depending on how you're getting to Beijing and how long you're going to be there it might not be such a problem: since January this year, foreigners from a number of countries* can stay in Beijing or Shanghai for 72 hours on a transit visa, which you receive upon arrival at the airport. So if you'd be flying from HK to Beijing, and have a plane ticket out of the country 72 hours later, you should be fine. If not... get one in HK! (from what I've heard its relatively cheap and cheerful)

*(quick google came up with Argentina, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States)

Good luck!

#2 kitebo has been a member since 30/12/2010. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 10
 Send kitebo a private message   Where has kitebo been? 

Posted by Fabian on 7/2/2013 at 04:51

Posted from within Vietnam.

Dear Kitebo,

Thanks for your beautifull, clear, up to date and detailed answer.

The Comissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the PR of China in Hong Kong briefly answered "yes, you need" (meaning the visa, no foreword or signature, hahaha!).

We've got very interested on the alternative of the 72 hours transit visa.

Great answer, thanks again.

#3 Fabian has been a member since 4/2/2013. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.