Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

fastest and/or cheapest way to Phenom Phen from Bangkok

Posted by pbzvariety on 14/2/2013 at 23:11

Tonight, I'm going to Bangkok via bus to Mo Chit bus station (northern I think). how would u get to phnom Phen?

I heard one way is to take a bus from the east bus station to the border at Aranya Prathet, and them taxi o siem reap and bus to phnom Phen from...?

I do want to see the town for a few days, and then on to see Siem Reap before I have to fly from siem reap airport late next week.

thanks!

#1 pbzvariety has been a member since 12/2/2013. Location: United States. Posts: 7
 Website 

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/2/2013 at 17:21 admin

I'm assuming you've already done the trip, but for other readers, this story pretty much outlines the options.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,575
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by pbzvariety on 15/2/2013 at 22:22

thanks, someone here on the bus showed this to me! strange nothing elsewhere I read talked about dropping us off 7km from the border. thanks

#3 pbzvariety has been a member since 12/2/2013. Location: United States. Posts: 7
 Website 

Posted by sayadian on 16/2/2013 at 21:05

Plenty of buses go straight from Poipet on the Cambodian border to P P no need to go via Siem Reap

#4 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557

Posted by pbzvariety on 17/2/2013 at 01:02

One piece of advice on how to cross and go to PP was wrong, but It didn't mess me up as much as outdated information placed elsewhere online.

Firstly, the bus drops you off right at the border. So, there is no need for any tuk-tuk to the border. It drops you off, and it is about a three block walk directly to the border.

The really bad advice I got was from wik travel.org
1. It said I needed to stop at Battambang first, and there would be no buses that go to Phnom Penh from there. Now I hear there are buses that go right to Phnom Penh. Also, there is a bus from the Battambang basically every hour all the way up until 11:30, more or less, as opposed to being only 12:45 PM and 6:30 AM. That information made me stay here an extra day, when really I only have time for going right Phnom Penh.

it said there would be pickup trucks across the border, On which you can ride for a dollar to sisophon, and another two dollars to Battambang. In fact, at that time of day, which was 3 PM, those options did not exist. I'm not sure they existed all, all I know is that I had to rely on the people that were hassling me, something I promised myself I wouldn't do.
Anyway, I ended up hitchhiking, to sisophon, and then took a taxi to Battambang..

I should write an article online on how to do this, because it really isn't that difficult, but even after two hours of research, I still managed to end up wasting about six hours, plus another day in the city I didn't mean to go to. However, I want to say that battambang is an awesome place, and you can ask a tuk tuk driver to get you around the countryside For $12., if you're interested in seeing something other than tourist crap.

Thanks folks, for the info. I couldn't even have gotten this Far if it wasn't for the help of the community. Hope to contribute some information as well. :-)

#5 pbzvariety has been a member since 12/2/2013. Location: United States. Posts: 7
 Website 

Posted by boxee on 22/2/2013 at 21:35

there is now a direct bus from bkk to PP or Siem Reap, i think it just started this week from mo chit station

http://coconutsbangkok.com/news/bus-service-now-available-directly-from-bangkok-to-cambodia/

#6 boxee has been a member since 26/3/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 131

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.