Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Tourist visa

Posted by mic59 on 5/3/2013 at 05:40

I am intending to travel to Thailand as a tourist for more than 60 but less than 90 days. I have been told by the Thai Consulate in Adelaide that I will need a dual-entry visa and will have to do a border run, but have received an answer on this forum that I can enter the country for 60 days and get it extended for a further 30 for THB1900. Which is correct and if I can get my visa extended where do I do it?

#1 mic59 has been a member since 30/7/2008. Posts: 107

Posted by DLuek on 5/3/2013 at 07:44 TF writer

Both are correct -- you could do it either way. If you get a single entry, you'll need to extend it for 1900 baht at any Thai immigration office (I'm pretty sure there's one in the capital of all 77 provinces, certainly in all the big ones).

Here's info for the one in Bangkok:

And here it is for Chiang Mai:

Unless you'll be really close to a border crossing after 60 days, getting it extended at immigration is probably the best bet. Keep in mind that if you're planning on staying for less than 15 days after the first 60 are up, you could leave the country and re-enter without the need for a double entry visa (you'd get 15 days visa free, or 30 days if you want to fly in and out for some reason). That would save you 1000 baht on the initial visa (doubles cost 2000 baht, singles are 1000).

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,298
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by Captain_Bob on 5/3/2013 at 22:26

Yep you could go either way:
Single-entry 60 days w/30-day extension at Immigration OR
Double-entry and do a border hop

It depends on where you will be when the time comes and your priority money vs. time spent. Here in Chiang Mai, for example, Immigration is close to town near the airport and an extension can be done in about an hour for the usual 1900 baht. Doing a border run from here, however, takes all day in a bus or minivan up to the Mae Sai border and the trip costs around 600 baht plus 500 baht for the Myanmar border pass. If you do the border hop to Laos or Cambodia bear in mind you have to pay for a full 30-day visa even if you're just going in and out same day.

Immigration branches are all over the country. Check on (click on the "Checkpoints" menu at the top) to find the nearest one for you.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,950

Posted by captainbkk on 10/3/2013 at 01:31

Dluek: one does not need to FLY OUT of TH-only to fly IN to gain 30 days-as I did last week-train into MY-made a repeat tour again- and flew back in with trusted AirAsia.

#4 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.