Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Turning a Thai tourist visa into a Thai work visa?

Posted by gannongm on 27/3/2013 at 10:12


I'm a U.S. citizen currently in Thailand on a 60 day tourist visa that I obtained before entering the country. I've been offered a job in Thailand and I understand that it is supposed to be illegal to take up any form of paid work while here as a 'tourist'. Is there some way for me to get a non-immigrant work visa without first returning to the U.S.?

#1 gannongm has been a member since 5/11/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 27/3/2013 at 20:49

Depending on where in Thailand you are, go to the nearest Thai embassy/consulate. I got mine in Vientiane, Laos. Bring supporting documents e.g. letter of employment offer and company registration. Read requirements for Non-Immigrant-B visa here:

Once you have this you need a work permit which you get from the Ministry of Labor. See

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,951

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by captainbkk on 29/3/2013 at 08:15

First make sure that your potential employee is in fact willing to support the paperwork for that work-visa. many are not.

#3 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.