Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

7 nationalities now get 30 day visa exemptions to Thailand overland?

Posted by DLuek on 6/11/2013 at 08:56 TF writer

Thaivisa is reporting that as of a week ago, holders of US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Italy and Japan passports are now once again receiving 30 day visa-free exemptions if arriving to Thailand overland (for the last several years it was 15 days by land, 30 by air).

If you just crossed into Thailand or will be doing so soon, please confirm.

Strange that Australia is apparently not invited to the party?

#1 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,185
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 6/11/2013 at 21:25

Aussies didn't learn the secret handshake I guess ;-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G7

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by DLuek on 7/11/2013 at 08:06 TF writer

Ah-haa

Still... Germany, France and Italy but not Switzerland, Belgium, Denmark, etc.? Seems a bit arbitrary.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,185
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by ktontour on 7/11/2013 at 19:04

Good to know, will be trying this in the next couple of weeks from Laos, so will update with how it goes for a couple of Brits!

#4 ktontour has been a member since 19/6/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 3
 Send ktontour a private message   Where has ktontour been? 

Posted by exacto on 7/11/2013 at 20:45

thanks, kton. i'd be really keen to hear how it goes too.

this definitely looks like it is tied to the G7 somehow - maybe based on some reciprocal agreement, which is often how visas and visa exemptions work. when i lived in turkey, the turks charged americans US$ 100 for a visa, because that is what the US government charged turks. i think it hurt their tourism industry a bit (just as the 15-day overland likely hurt the thai's), but it was more of a matter of pride for the turks.

anyway, let's hope this is true as it would make logistics on longer trips much easier, at least for the lucky G7 country passport holders. cheers.

#5 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,686
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Amelia1403 on 11/11/2013 at 00:51

Hello,

Just to confirm UK citizens do get 30 days when entering overland. We entered this morning from Laos- the Houyxai, Laos to Chang Kong crossing.

Nothing was asked/ mentioned, they just stamped 30 days in our passports

-Amelia

#6 Amelia1403 has been a member since 11/11/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by ktontour on 24/11/2013 at 20:27

Just to second Amelia, have literally just done the same border crossing from Laos, and had a free 30 day stamp, no questions asked. All done in about 45 seconds.
Happy days.

#7 ktontour has been a member since 19/6/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 3
 Send ktontour a private message   Where has ktontour been? 

Posted by hanno on 18/12/2013 at 02:17

Hello, I'm currently in China and want to go overland through Laos to Thailand soon.

Can anyone say if they ask for any travel documents (flightticket out of thailand) or hotel reserverations at the border? I'm from Germany and thus I hope I get 30 days to stay there, I just don't intend to plan ahead when and how I leave the country.

#8 hanno has been a member since 18/12/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by Captain_Bob on 18/12/2013 at 08:00

^No you probably won't be asked to show anything other than your passport, and will receive a 30-day entry to Thailand. Just note that border crossing procedures have changed a bit since the opening of the new bridge between Huay Xai and Chiang Khong last week.

#9 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by ClemGrant on 28/12/2013 at 03:46

Hello,

We will likely be crossing from Laos into Thailand via Houyxai. I gather my wife, who is French, will receive the same 30 days as the UK passport holders but does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Grant

#10 ClemGrant has been a member since 28/12/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by LoganT on 28/12/2013 at 07:03

Hi - UK passport holder here - I crossed overland from Myanmar to Thailand at Mae Sot a couple of weeks ago, and was given a 30 day visa (which I wasn't expecting) as was the German with us. The Swede was given 15 days. Sorry, ClemGrant, don't know about French passports but thought I'd just confirm my 30 day visa UK passport holder experience.

#11 LoganT has been a member since 14/9/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 25
 Where has LoganT been? 

Posted by avrilcory on 22/1/2014 at 03:28

I read your post about the 7 nationalities now get 30 day visa exemptions to Thailand to overland. It is a best visa information about the visa i visited your post find more interesting information if you also want online information and visa related services than one a time Anzac India visit.

Thank You

#12 avrilcory has been a member since 26/12/2013. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.