Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

15-day Vietnam tourist visa

Posted by bribri on 13/2/2014 at 10:48

Has anyone gotten this 15-day visa or know any more information about it?

"The one option available in Phnom Penh that isnt available online is a 15-day tourist visa. These can be only obtained through travel agents and not through the embassy directly."
- https://www.travelfish.org/blogs/cambodia/2011/04/06/how-to-get-a-vietnamese-visa-in-phnom-penh/#comment-10430

I'll be travelling from:

Siem Reap, Cambodia -> Phnom Penh, Cambodia -> Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

and looking to get a quick Vietnam visa while in Phnom Penh. I've tried researching this 15-day visa everywhere, and all that comes up is the 30 or more day visas that take at least 24 hours to process.

- Is the 15-day visa 100% legitimate to cross the border into Vietnam via bus?
- How soon can a 15-day visa be approved and ready to go?
- Is it easy to find a trustworthy travel agent while in Phnom Penh? Can we trust the person at the front desk of our hotel/hostel with out passports if we get it through them?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
- Brian

#1 bribri has been a member since 13/2/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by daawgon on 13/2/2014 at 12:31

I think you're talking about the special transit visa that's only available to certain group tours - not for individuals. You need a VOA Application Letter if arriving by air, or a conventional visa if crossing the land border. If you're coming from Cambodia, go to the Vietnamese Embassy in Phnom Penh.

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Posted by bribri on 13/2/2014 at 12:56

"I think you're talking about the special transit visa that's only available to certain group tours - not for individuals. You need a VOA Application Letter if arriving by air, or a conventional visa if crossing the land border. If you're coming from Cambodia, go to the Vietnamese Embassy in Phnom Penh ."

Thank you for your reply daawgon,

We will not be flying so that rules out the Pre-Approved VOA. We're looking to take a boat from Siem Reap -> Phnom Penh and a bus from Phnom Penh -> Ho Chi Minh City.

The conventional Visa I am inquiring about does not appear to be a group tour visa, in the travelfish.org article I linked above. It is stated as being available through travel agents in Phnom Penh.

This 15-day visa is also mentioned here:
"We asked around the guesthouses and agencies in PP for a month-long Vietnamese visa. We were quoted prices varying between $37 and $39 (just $1-2 more than a 15-day visa). " - http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2255432

We are not looking to stay in Phnom Penh for long, and it appears that all of the conventional 30+ day visas require 24hrs or more to process.

Can someone please confirm that they have been successful with the 15-day visa, and if so, how quickly it took to process this visa.

Thanks again,
- Brian

#3 bribri has been a member since 13/2/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by bribri on 13/2/2014 at 13:26

Hi daawgon,

If the 15-day visa is a group tour visa like you suggest, do you think that would be a good, quick option for me and my friends? We are a group of 7 Canadians.

Cheers,
- Brian

#4 bribri has been a member since 13/2/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by Grunberg on 5/3/2014 at 23:03

You are looking take a boat from Siem Reap -> Phnom Penh and a bus from Phnom Penh -> Ho Chi Minh City.So you should apply Embassy visa at the Embassy of Vietnam in Phnom Penh. Address: 436 Monivong Blvd., Khan Chamcarmon, Phnom Penh.
Goodluck!

#5 Grunberg has been a member since 3/3/2014. Posts: 20

Posted by prisonbreak on 10/5/2014 at 05:10

So what s the current price for a 1 month tourist visa and this 15 day visa ?

#6 prisonbreak has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 20

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.