Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Thai multiple entry visa or visa waiver + single entry visa?

Posted by zesti on 6/7/2014 at 04:38

Hello,

I will be traveling to Bangkok, stay there for 1 or 2 days then fly on to Myanmar for about 3 weeks and then return to Thailand for about 5 weeks. Now what I'm wondering is if I get a single entry tourist visa for Thailand, would they automatically stamp it at the airport in Bangkok when I first arrive or can I tell them to give me a visa waiver for those first few days until I fly to Myanmar and save the visa for when I return to Thailand? Or should I just get a double entry visa?

Thanks,
Ine

#1 zesti has been a member since 6/7/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by Captain_Bob on 7/7/2014 at 02:36

You can rightfully ask them to ignore your tourist visa and just stamp you in visa-exempt for the initial stay, but it is at their discretion. Most likely it will be ok, but only way to guarantee is a double-entry visa.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by MissCaswell on 19/12/2014 at 18:43

I had a smiliar question and went to my local consulate. After being advised by the Thai embassy in Denmark they told me I would not need a re-entry visa (or any of that stuff) and that my visa-on-arrival would do just fine each time I entered (will be entering 3 times during my travels, my passport is Icelandic).

As I understand it it is the length of time in between arrivals in Thailand that either classify you as a visa-run traveller or what they call a "genuine tourist" that's travelling between countries and you would classify as a "genuine" tourist and therefore don't need a re-entry permit or waiver.

#3 MissCaswell has been a member since 27/5/2014. Posts: 5

Posted by Captain_Bob on 20/12/2014 at 03:30

You should be OK re-entering Thailand visa-exempt (no visa or payment required) each time but prepare to show proof of airline tickets in/out of Thailand so you are clearly a tourist not a serial visa-runner. This was more of an issue months ago during the "crackdown" but has been relaxed recently (as usual).

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.