Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

laos visa

Posted by pandc on 5/10/2007 at 19:50

hiya
you're probably sick of hearing these questions but if we get our Laos visa's in Phnom Penh and they're valid for 30 days, does this time start running out as soon as they're issued or only once we cross the border?
help!
thanks

#1 pandc has been a member since 5/10/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by exacto on 5/10/2007 at 21:15

hi pandc,

the lao visas i've obtained from an embassy prior to arrival always started ticking once i arrived and was stamped in to the country, not from the date of issue. if you are concerned, you might consider getting a visa on arrival. the sticky post in the visas and border crossing section of the forum lists the places where you can and cannot get a visa on arrival in laos (apparently you cannot get one via the land crossing from cambodia into laos). regards.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,657
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by pandc on 7/10/2007 at 16:42

thanks, I'd heard that before but a lot of the visa websites are a bit vague about what the 'validity' time actually means. the cambodia-laos border is t he one I'm crossing so I guess I'll get my visa in Cambodia and hope for the best!

#3 pandc has been a member since 5/10/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by tails101 on 7/10/2007 at 19:51

Like Exacto says, the Laos visa doesn't kick in until you enter the country. A slight word of warning however - and I doubt this will apply to you - but the visa I got in advance of arriving in Laos had a 2 month window within which you had to have entered Laos. To be honest, if the border you are crossing at does visa on arrival, it's a really easy process and would be the way I'd go. Cheers.

#4 tails101 has been a member since 1/4/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 105
 Twitter 

Posted by gloriousnepal on 29/11/2007 at 03:55

Hi,
I am new to this forum and have a question about obtaining a Visa for Laos from the Embassy in Washington DC. We live in Canada so all needs to be done from here. Anybody been through a similar situation and might have some good advice. For reasons I won't go into here other than to say we didn't leave ourselves enough time in Bangkok and are again time crunched when crossing from Vietnam to Laos we have run into problems.

#5 gloriousnepal has been a member since 29/11/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by tinamars2000 on 11/1/2008 at 22:23

Hello I'm in Pai at present wanting to go to Laos from here any suggestions on most comfortable way to travel ? I've heard to get a night bus from Pai then get slow boat in Laos any other suggestions would be greatly appreaciated Regards Martina

#6 tinamars2000 has been a member since 11/12/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by Guernseystu on 12/1/2008 at 14:51

Martina, you can get a bus or buses to Chiang Khong before crossing over to Huay Xai in Laos. From there you can either get a slow boat South to Luang Prabang or head off North or Northeast by bus.

#7 Guernseystu has been a member since 10/7/2007. Posts: 108

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.